Thursday, May 28, 2009

Edamame iamame youamame we all amame


My body has a very sophisticated health food sensor. It can decipher a million different vitamin and mineral combinations and if a food has more than 2% RDA of a healthful nutrient, it immediately rejects it. This system started early in childhood with the first (and last) time my father forced me to eat my spinach. The resulting regurgitation of the spinach on the dinner table fixed his wagon and Popeye's favorite food never crossed my lips again. That is until someone cleverly disguised it with gobs of mayonnaise, sour cream and vegetable soup and cradled it lovingly inside of a hollowed out bowl of sourdough bread. So how is it that I came to love (with a capital LOVE) edamame?

Well, the unlikely story goes something like this -
My department was invited out to lunch with the department head. This, in and of itself was something akin to hell freezing over, so we all donned our hats and woolen mittens headed off to a Japanese restaurant. I am no cooked fish fan, so the sushi that everyone was anxiously awaiting was clearly out of the question for me. As there is a lemming like mentality in business and certain people believe that mirroring the boss' order is the fast track to a promotion, there was sushi all around. I, on the other hand believe that mirroring the boss' order is the fast track to something brown and stinky on the tip our your nose, so I ordered Tempura (yeah, bitches!). Of course, this led to the litany of questions regarding why I don't like sushi and how could I not like it if I never tried it. I wanted to tell them that I never ate pickled monkey balls either, but I could say with a high degree of confidence that I did not like them, but I let it go. In the interim, someone had ordered several dishes of edamame for the table. I had never tried them, but I knew if I didn't tuck into some of those little green pods, the torture would only increase. It seemed like a low risk food and I could easily spit it into my napkin if it turned out to be foul. Luckily, it was super tasty. The little beans sat warm inside heavily salted pods just begging to be popped out of their skins and munched.

By the time the food came, we had all bonded over the delightful edamame we shared and the torture had blissfully subsided. . . until someone shoved an Empress Roll under my nose, then the game was on. Garcon! Where's my pickled monkey balls? We've got some tastin' to do!

16 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

KimberLeigh said...

I don't eat sushi either, but I might try edamame since I hate veggies too. How bad could it be?

peewee said...

I LOVE the way you described spinach dip! Now THAT? is award winning writing!

When I was a kid, in order from my stepmom to get us to eat "healthy" foods, she made us a casserole of MAYONNAISE, A BRICK of VELVEETA, chicken chunks, sour cream and...ta da! Broccoli! WITH crushed potato chips on top.

mmmm. I LOVE me some health food!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Things go better with mayo! That broccoli casserole probs would have worked on me too.

Mare said...

I too am a Big Edamame Fan! I think I want to research growing them...

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Girl, if anyone can grow 'em, you can.

Angelika said...

Edamame tastes like nothing to me. Salty nothing. I tried to add them to soup or something because it takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked in, but it's disturbing to crunch on a bead of NOTHING.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

I think that's why I like them. No vegetable taste.

Walter said...

It's the salt. And if you dip them in soy sauce, double salt. That high, high sodium content hides any and all healthiness in the actual edamame.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Mmmmmmm. Soy sauce and salt. A winning combination in my book. I am going to try that. Thanks for the (non)health tip. Those are my favorite!

Roshni Mitra Chintalapati said...

Seriously? I just see something green and go 'yuck! ok, I'll take your word for it!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Roshni, there used to be a commercial in the 70's (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are too young to remember it (your welcome)) and the tag line was "Try it, you'll like it!" This is what I'm sayin.

the letters i wish i'd written said...

they go particularly well with, chilli, garlic and beer, the beer is served separately in an ice cold bottle.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

I think a shoe would taste good with chili garlic and beer!

Natashya said...

My daughter just got back from NY and took us out for all you can eat Japanese plates for Mothers/Fathers Day treat. We ate tons of edamame and sushi, teriyaki and tempura. I just love it!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Natashya,

Considering what you do, I would fully expect you to have a very sophisticated palate. I, on the other hand, have a palate that developed up until the age of nine and stopped. Not unlike my maturity level and sense of humor ;)

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: