Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Get a job!

I need some love from my working brothers and sisters on today’s topic. I have been ruminating lately about how difficult it is to work with certain personality types and what my own personality and style brings to the workplace. This is something that I think about all the time, but more so lately as I recently re-took the Meyers Briggs personality test and training course. I took this many years ago, and supposedly the criteria and process has changed a little, so I took it again. I also took the Keirsey Temperament sorter, which has foundations in Meyers Briggs, but talks more about your work style and appropriate jobs for your personality type.

So, here is what Meyers Briggs says that I am –

INFJ - This four letter acronym means that I am more introverted than extroverted, more intuitive than sensing, more feeling than thinking and more judging and structured than perceiving.
OK, whatever you say, Meyers Briggs. It also tells you what people of note share your type.

Get this:
Me and Mother Theresa, we tight!
Me and MLK should go out for beers.
Me and Tom Selleck (?!?), homies.
Me and Shirley McLaine share an astral plane.

OK, so I guess I am a selfless, human rights activist that believes in gun rights and out of body experiences. Uh, yeah, that’s me in a nutshell (NOT).

So what does Keirsey say about my choice of career?

Well, Keirsey also says that I am an INFJ, but to them it means that I am more attentive than expressive, more introspective than observant, more friendly than tough minded and more scheduled than probing. They label me an “Idealist-Counselor”. The list of perfect jobs for the Idealist-Counselor? Here goes:

Occupational Therapist (That would require patience. Uh, not my long suit)
Creative Writer (I can write. Not necessarily creatively or with any regard for grammar, syntax, structure or punctuation)
Film Maker (I’m no Scorcese.)
Art Director (Of those that draw stick people only.)
Librarian (Really. Isn’t literacy a bonafide job requirement?)
Architect (The structural integrity of anything, should never be left in my hands.)
Counselor (I would feel too much of peoples pain. I would end up eating a bullet.)
Registered Nurse (Do apathy and a queasy stomach disqualify me from this one?)
Religious Educator (Hold on, I’m still laughing.. . . . . )
Grant Writer (WTF is this?)
Reporter/Correspondent (Didn’t you just tell me that I am NOT observant?)
Professor of Sociology (Yeah, I’m short a few thousand credits for this one)

So what is missing from this magic recipe of type sorting? My career. I’m a Project Manager in the software application development world. I’ve been one for forever and a day. Have I been a hopelessly inept PM for this long or do I have the untapped potential to be the most stellar Religious Educator that ever espoused dogma, if I only tried? All these tests have served to do is confuse me. That was a lot of effort to find out that I am mismatched to my job and don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. The only thing that is clear to me at this point is that I need to play Lotto, every day.

6 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Angelika said...

Well...good luck playing the lotto? I hope you've been saving your lucky numbers from the fortune cookies you get at Chinese restaurants.

I think I'm an ISTJ, btw. But it's been a while, so I could be wrong.

:-)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

ISTJ would make you presidential (George Washington) or scrappy (Evander Hollydield).

Angelika said...

I'll never run for president. I have too many skeletons in my closet. ;-)

I'd like to do Evander Hollyfield. As long as he didn't say anything...

musingwoman said...

If you get it figured out, please, let me know how you did it!

After my divorce I was forced to take a job in accounting when I'd much rather work in something arts-related.

I hate my job but can't seem to find a way out of it and still pay the rent.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

MW - it's definitely a bummer to do what you are competent at, but don't necessarily love. I certainly like my job (some days more than others), but I don't think it's my passion. Not sure what that passion is though. I am a little envious of folks that have a clear passion and persue it.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: