Thursday, June 11, 2009

Takin on the Big O

The Cult of Oprah. Are you a member? I can happily say that I am not and while I don’t have anything against Oprah, per se, I also don’t understand the Mesmer-like effect that she has on the daytime TV audience. What is it about this woman that so strongly compels people to follow “The Secret” or to read “The Secret Life of Bees”?

In a recent issue of Newsweek, Oprah was called out for pushing unproven and unsound medical advice to her viewers. Whether these things are proven or not does not matter to me, she totally has a right to present the things that she likes to her audience. I am far more interested in the public exercising a healthy skepticism before plunging over the cliff of one of her recommendations.

For a serious look at what Oprah is being questioned on, go here:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/200025

For a peek into Oprah’s Va Jay Jay (you know you wanna look), go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2m0oZv1rc

PS. I HEART the Soup. I HEART Joel McHale. I HEART Mallomars.

7 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Lin said...

It drives me NUTS that there are throngs of people who quote Oprah and do what she tells them. It is all very sheeple like, if you ask me. Read what Oprah reads? No thanks. I like to choose my own reads. She has no clue on reality, marriage, having kids, exercising without a paid trainer, or trying to lose weight without a private chef.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't follow the Almighty O.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

She does have a well traveled va jay jay though, no?

steenky bee said...

You know what it is? It's the hope that one day we'll run into her and she'll shout our name out loud and really stretch the vowels out like she does for JOHN TRA-VOL-TAHHHHHHHHH! I also watch her every now and then to see if she's losing or gaining weight. Gah, I'm mean!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Good point. How would she say my name? DI-A-REE-OF-A-MAAAAAD-BATHROOOOOOM

Kinda has a nice ring . .

musingwoman said...

I haven't watched Oprah for years. But I did love The Secret Life of Bees.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Presumably that bee movie/book was your own choice. I credit you for that(even if your book has an Oprah's Book Club sticker on it). ;)

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: