Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Never Said I Was Donna Reed


There is a question that I get all the time that I absolutely HATE, and the time has come for me to let it out before I get all stabby. For over a year, my son's band has had a weekly band practice at our house. Without fail, the one question that I have gotten from every person that learns that I am doing this is "You don't mind them practicing in your house?" or worse yet, "You don't mind the noise?".


It's probably not the question itself that bugs me. I guess it's a fair question (sort of). But it's the incredulous way that it is asked and the patent disbelief of my answer, which is - "No way. I love it." This response is almost always met with "Really?" Now the way that I'd like to answer that follow up question is "No bitch, I'm telling you a lie just to F with you." or "Oooooh, turn around. You've got something poking out of your jeans. Oh never mind, it's just the stick up your ass.". But, I manage to calmly and rationally state my case for how amazing it is to have this talented group of kids playing awesome music in my den. This is response is often met with what I can only describe as "the poo face".


It seems that the majority of people would prefer to saw off their own heads with a dull butter knife than allow five teenagers to play music in their house. Well huddle up, because Diary is about to school you. Here's a little pop quiz:


1) Guess what I know?


I know where my kid is.


2) You know what else I know?


I know EXACTLY what he's doing.


3) One more thing that I know?


I know who he's with.



EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION: Guess what I like?


I like the music that they play. I don't consider it "noise" and I don't give a damn what the neighbors think.


So, guess who isn't getting the Mother of the Year award from her peers? And guess who isn't chummy with the PTA president? And guess who gets sideways looks from the nabes? You guessed it. But guess who doesn't give two nickels worth of squirrel farts?
See? You're smart. I didn't even have to give you a hint. YOU get an A+.






43 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

hokgardner said...

I'm with you, although my kids aren't old enough to have a band yet. I love the fact that my yard is filled with kids and that my children actually LIKE being at home.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Hokgardener - It's great to be able to keep them close by. Everyone seems overly concerned with the noise or the mess or with the fact that I feed them. B.F.D. I feel lucky to have them around.

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

I think that's great. I personally prefer to send my kids elsewhere, but that's just me...ya want em??

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

I am SO with you.

At 3-1/2, Bob already has a drum set. And a piano. And a guitar. And a cowbell. And a band of other 3 year-olds. I love it. I am also blessed with elderly neighbors who can't hear it.

Erin M. said...

You rock. Very good points there. My kids are not even 4 yet, so I don't appreciate their "music," but I'm sure when they're older and have had some time to perfect it, it will be much better. But yes, I'd prefer to have them here, where I know where they are and who they are with. It's a scary world out there.

semihippysinglemum said...

How dare you bond with your child and allow him to do something he loves. What the hell is wrong with you??? ;-D

You are friggin hiliraous!!! I rock out in the Jeep to Miley Cyrus with my daughter. People don't seem to understand how I can stand it. I've learned to enjoy it because my daughter likes it and I can have something to bond with her about. She loves that her mom rocks out in the Jeep and her friends find it quite cool when they are riding along.

Screw them. Some people can't stand to see others happy. It's quite sad.

That One Mom said...

Amen! People think I'm crazy for allowing the world's children congregate here. A. I was crazy LONG before that. And B. I know where my kids are and I know ALL of their friends (and enemies). So all the naysayers can bite me. I doubt they know their kids half as well as I know mine - or you know yours.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Lee -Send 'em my way. The more the merrier.

Erin - It does help you keep track of what's going on with them (which is priceless)

LPR - MORE COWBELL! That's exactly what every three year old jam session needs!

Semihippysinglemum - Thanks. There are a host of things wrong with me. ;) However, I don't believe that this is one of them.

That One Mom - For the price of a few fingerprint smears on the walls, we have peace of mind.

Sherri @ Luv a Bargain said...

I'm right there with ya! I would love to have my son's band (if there was one) hang out at our house. I think it is so great to have them where I know where they are:)

blueviolet said...

You make unreal amounts of sense right now. I think it's quite actually a stroke of parenting brilliance.

kys said...

My mom always felt the same way when I was young. Everyone ended up at our house.

linlah said...

Um..I think you have that backwards you actually get Mom of the Year for that.

Amy said...

I totally love you!! This is why your kid will grow up always being close with you and his friends will always refer to you as the "cool mom." You just get it! It's really awesome that you do!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sherri@luvabargain -It's one less thing to worry about amist a whole lot of things to worry about.

Blueviolet- My name has never been used in the same sentence as "brilliance" before. I might have to archive this post because it's NEVER gonna happen again.

Kys - There are distinct advantages to this approach.

Linlah - That depends on who you ask. I don't really vibe with many local parents.

Amy - I don't think my son consideres me too cool, but maybe when he looks back. . .

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

I'd have answered the same way. People can be so stupid.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Nancy - Yeah. I try not to sweat them, but I have gotten the question at least 50 times and my patience is wearing thin.

Lin said...

I laughed because I just told Col to have his quartet over for rehearsal this week before they perform on Thursday! I'm with you--bring the kids over! All of them! Loud, obnoxious, pizza-eating, mess-making ALL of them! You are a great mom, DG. We know something those idiot moms don't and we are the better for it.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Thanks Lin. I'll be thinking of you as I clean up after them on Sunday. I know you'll be doing the same thing!

Eva Gallant said...

I think you are a terrificly smart and loving mom!

Chief said...

why can't we live next to each other so my kids can go over to your house?

Aria said...

You have cemented my blog-stalking girl-crush. Squirrel farts. LMFAO! Can I keep you?

The Crazy Baby Mama said...

you ARE mama-of-the-year :)

A Musing Mom (Taylorclan6) said...

And he's going to theater camp. Could you ask for anything more?

I think not.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Eva- Thanks! I think it's kinda practical.

Chief - They would be welcome. Go ahead and send them over. They're young, they can manage the walk.

Aria - I had you at squirrel farts? Yeah. I am essentially yours as I doubt the hubs would put up much of a fignt for me. He's too fixated on the fate of the Yankees to worry about me.

Crazy Baby Mama - Thanks. I think the locals might disagree, but I will gladly take the award from you long distance and wave it under their noses.

A Musing Mom - We will keep your fingers crossed on that one. He has 8 months to change his mind.

Judy Harper said...

Great post! When growing up my brother's three boys played in a band, and now that one is grown, he's playing with the band "Love and Theft". One thing I could always count on, if I visited them, I had a front seat to an impromtu concert. They always wanted to show off a new song or instument or a new way to play the instrument. It was great! I miss that event now. Good post! I'm over from SITS, Hope you have a day!

our b life said...

My kids are 7 and 3. So no band yet, at least not with other friends and "real" instruments. However, when the time comes I would totally let them practice at my house.

You know what your talking about.

Ms. Wanda said...

Wow! How cool are you:) I'm an old singer/songwriter and I welcome music in my house. My 21 year old has a small studio in our house and I love it and your right, I know exactly where he is too:)

singedwingangel said...

My son is a self taught guitarist and does wonderful.. He has a beautiful voice, I take credit on that one the guitar not even close to anywhere from me lol.. I can deal with him and his friends jamming here.. Although I do love screamo.. OH I also live on a hill with nearly 4 acres my neighbors are COWS they don't complain much and can't call the law rofl..

Karen said...

Maybe next time someone asks you that, you can just respond with, "Well, I don't mind it because MY kid actually has talent."

That'll shut them up. :-)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Judy Harper - Thanks for stopping in from SITS. Music is such a great way for families to bond. See what a living room concert can lead to? Why would anyone discourage that?

Our B Life - It's a blast. I highly recommend!

Ms Wanda - How cool are YOU that you can actually write songs? I have no musical talent,so I appreciate what the kids can do all the more because I can't even play a penny whistle.


SingedWingAngel - You love screamo? That's hysterical. My son't band is not a screamo band, though they noodle around with it for fun sometimes. It always makes me laugh.

Karen - Some people don't get it no matter what you say to them. Phooey on them. Their loss.

Wendi said...

The next time the PTA president gives me attitude, I'm sending her your way.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Wendi - You know it girl. I'll cut a bitch.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hah, you're funny. And very cool to allow your son and his band to play. I would to!!!!

Thanks for sharing in my SITS day last week, appreciate it!!!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Live. Love. Eat - Thanks and thanks for stopping by. SITS is awesome.

Aunt Becky said...

You fucking rule. Seriously, you're my hero. I want to be just like you when my son has band practice. Because hell yeah they can play at my house. SURE they can.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Aunt Becky - It's more fun than mere mortals should be allowed to have.

singedwingangel said...

Oh no I DON"T like screamo lol HE loves it I think to torment me mainly... I left you some award love on my page sweetie come check it out

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Singedwingangel - Thank you for the award, I think, I hope (are you sure it was for me, I didn't see myself tagged).

Spot On Your Pants said...

What? Can't hear you! I can't wait to get my kid some bad ass drums.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Spot On Your Pants - That would have been brilliant. Feigning hearing loss due to the "noise". Where were you when I needed you?

Christine said...

Holy cow! Two nickels worth of squirrel farts?? LMAO!
I'm bloghopping through the SITS rollcall...wanted to say HOWDY!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Christine - Thanks for stopping by. Happy SITS Saturday (even if they didn't do sharefest today :( )

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: