Saturday, December 26, 2009

I'm Back and I'm Blocked


I am back from Blogcation and I can't for the life of me, remember any of the things that I wanted to blog about. Stepping away from the blog was difficult for me at first and it's almost like my brain punished me by hurling a ton of great ideas at me while I was completely wrapped in holiday hysteria. Now that I finally have a moment to sit down and channel those ideas into actual posts, I've got nothin'.


This issue is pretty representative of everything that's wrong with my noggin. It's a swirling hive of ideas and creativity whenever I am away far from any media that I could use to capture those thoughts. For instance, the second that I step into the shower, I am filled with thousands of remembered items from my to do list as well as story ideas and memories from long ago. All of that great material seems to evaporate as soon as I am dressed. Same for the car. I can solve the nation's health care crisis between home and work, but the second that I step out of the car, I can barely remember my own name.


This holiday was particularly crazy, given the insanity that is going on at work. It did not let up for a moment and I was still on conference calls between baking and cleaning, when I was supposed to be off. I am pretty sure that come March, I am going to take at least a week off to regroup from this cluster F and and maybe even dedicate my week to a blog posting a day. Honestly, work taking me away from blogging made me bitter (in case that is not already clear), and since I don't like being bitter, I am bitter about feeling bitter, which leaves me caught in an endless loop of bitterness.


So, with more of a whimper than a bang and a whole lot of whining, I am back. We are going to meet the hubs out of state nieces and nephews for a late Christmas celebration today, so that will give me a long ride in the car to try to remember all the awesome blog topics that I have forgotten. Let's hope I get some ideas down before the cocktails start flowing. . . oh and the gambling. Let's not forget the gambling. What?! Doesn't every family celebrate Christmas in Atlantic City?

30 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Welcome back! It will all come back to you...I have NO doubts of this!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Nancy - Thanks. I don't want to force it . . . let's see what happens.

Erin said...

I often feel the same way. I just had a mini blogcation myself. It was hard at first, but it was good. My mind is full when I'm not near my computer. So not fair.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Glad you're back!

I scribble notes all day with my brilliant blogging ideas and then spend a half hour every evening trying to decode them. Still don't know what "Santa pants" means and I don't think I want to.

linlah said...

Yes, yes Christmas gamling is the best. We went a couple of years ago with the kids, you know cause they're older.

Aunt Juicebox said...

I always have my best ideas when I'm in bed and too tired or lazy to get up and write them down. I think I'll remember them but I rarely ever do.

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

I'm with you. I started off having a hard time from blogging, and now I have nothing to say. Oh well, I am sure my kids irritating the crap out of me this holiday will give me something to come up with.

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

I better chime in with my 'Me Too's!' I tell myself I need to write things down and never do. Glad to see we aren't alone with our empty heads at the computer.

Insanitykim said...

you need a fancy, qwerty-style, waterproof phone thingie...then you'll jot down everything you think of in the shower, and have like, the most fantastic posts of anyone...and maybe really red eyes from all that shampoo running down your face.

I forget great and funny post ideas all time too though...I can't afford a fancy phone, so peeps just read whatever I can muster up at the moment...I feel bad for them.

Marla said...

So .... you are funny without even trying?!?! Life is just not fair sometimes. :-)

Welcome back!!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Erin - What is that about? It is so frustrating!

LPR - Thanks. Glad to be back, even if not particularly productive.

Linlah - Thank go I'm not alone. I was thinking 12 step . . .

Aunt Juicebox - Too tired or lazy sounds like ALL THE TIME for me. :(

Lee- Mmmmmm. Now that you mention it, there is lots of that. . .

Monique - Nope, I'm knocking on my head and there is nothing but a hollow coconut sound.

Insanity Kim - Waterproof keyboard? I never knew there was such a thing. I have fried so many laptops to date with spilled tea and water that my company would have bought me the waterproof model if they knew it existed.

Marla - Well thanks. I don't feel funny. I feel blocked, like I ate too much cheese.

Arizona Mamma said...

Welcome back! I am in the same boat. I go through fits and phases it seems.

Noelle said...

i'm so with you on the brain blogcation crisis. glad i'm not alone...

we shall struggle through this all together!

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

I wrote a whole post once on how my best ideas would come when I had no way to write them down much less too lazy to get off my arse. Then I saw Elizabeth Gilbert on YouTube give a speech at the TED conference. What a hoot. Now I imagine my muse as being real in a way. Here's to hoping your muse sweeps back into town with loads of new ideas and inspirations.

Aunt Becky said...

It's just because you looooovvve me. Or something. Whatever. You'll be back to humping the blog in no time.

FRANNIE said...

Ugh - that happens to me all the time. I'll have a great idea and think 'I'm so going to blog that!' and then I sit down to do it and it's completely gone.

You'll be on fire in no time :).

Frannie

Sara said...

I'm working on the same issue.

I know the last few days have been interesting, and even entertaining, but I can't remember half of it and I'm not sure it's even worth the effort.

Good luck with your neurons. Mine are still frozen.

Lin said...

I do that when I walk or ride my bike--I think of the BEST posts. And then I proceed to forget them. Ugh. Maybe I just need a bunch of sticky notes stuck to me. :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

AZ Mommy = Good luck getting over it. I am still wrestling.

Noelle - We shall ovcercome. . . someday.

Happy Hour - Nothing yet. If you see my muse, please tell her she's an ungrateful bitch.

Aunt Becky- That can't be it. Then I'd have to quit you to get my mojo back. I can't quit you.

Frannie- Thanks Frannie. I don't feel quite so alone in this mess.

Sara - Neurons not yet a-poppin. I'll listen closely for the sound of popcorn and the smell of burning wood.

Lin - Perhaps I should take a bike ride with a notebook and pen.

Jen Chandler said...

Hello friend!

I understand. My Monday back was crazy as well and I had a headache on top of it all. I'm trying to take two days off at the end of January just to rest and soak in the silence of winter. We'll see if that happens. For some reason, time off here is almost taboo...ah well.
I hope all those fabulous blog posts come back soon! As for me, I've had so many since my computer went down, I'll be well stocked for a month!

Happy Tuesday,
Jen

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Jen - That's great! I can't imagine having a surplus. Can't wait to read them.

Existential Waitress said...

Welcome back! I have the same problem - I have the best ideas in the shower or in the car and then can't remember any othem when I sit down to blog. Happy New Year!

kys said...

It happens to me too. I'm a genius in my shower and in the car. I think it is because those are the only 2 places I'm alone.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Existential Waitress - Thanks. Seems like there's a lot of this going around. . .

Kys - That's probably exactly why!

MiMi said...

Sadly this sounds exactly like me!
I'm back from my blogcation...technically speaking, but I'm not coherent enough to string together a logical post.
Gah.
So I'm just visiting all of my favorites and trying to get back into it! :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Mimi - I did the same thing. Started out by reading for a day or two and then got back in motion.

Amy said...

I constantly get great blog ideas when I'm in no position to blog. It is so frustrating!!!
I have resorted to keeping notes in my Iphone to give me ideas later.

Of course, this is useless if I am in the shower...or elbow deep in toddler puke. But, 'ya now...it works most of the time.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Amy - Elbow deep in toddler puke. Such memories. . .

miss jo said...

Blog-idea backlog caused by blogcation creates an overflow situation in the shower, where brilliant insights get washed away ? A writer's dilemma to be sure....But I always think good ideas eventually bubble back to the surface while @ the keyboard....A belated Xmas and Happy New Year DG !

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: