Sunday, January 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Little Bro


Happy Birthday little Bro.


Even though I probably shouldn't call a man of your advancing years "little bro", you will always be that to me. And while I recognize that you are a successful adult, father, husband and homeowner, you will always be the following things to me:


- The boy with the green toughskin jeans that our mom shrunk to the perfect flood water length, revealing three inches of sock covered ankle.


- The tattletale that outed my every transgression to our mother, which resulted in the "you're older, you should know better" speech.


- The boy with the unruly mop of hair that we could barely get a brush through. Hair that looked like a 70's game show host's if you brushed it really hard and tried to smash it down.


- The kid that never wanted to take a bath, despite your mother's begging and pleading and eventual forcible insertion into the tub.


- The boy that would trade licks off a lollipop with the family dog.


- The foe that faced off against me across the dining room table with no weapons between us but a bowl of fruit*.
*Note to Self: the flesh of ripe Macintosh apples will get stuck in the grooves of the wood paneling if you throw them hard enough.


- The co-conspirator that helped me tie a wire from a neighbor's front door to their rear car door, so that when they left for work in the dark morning hours, we could hear the sound of their aluminum storm door trailing behind their car.


- The little brother that I felt compelled to protect when TJ O'Neill slammed you into the cafeteria wall at lunch. The little turd never knew what hit him when I grabbed him after school and swung him around by the hood of his parka. He never came near you again and he definitely never made eye contact with me again.


And because of these things, or in some cases, in spite of them, you are one of my favorite people on the planet. We share an unusual family history and an even more unusual sense of humor and of course, we share Uncle Ronnie. Nobody will ever understand that dynamic better than you and I.


So today, on your birthday, I honor you with a yellow cake with home made chocolate icing and my undying appreciation for all that we have shared in our lives. It wasn't always easy, but we came through without any major neuroses or gunshot wounds. That in itself is something to celebrate!


Happy Birthday with love,


DG






27 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

existentialwait said...

Awww! There's nothing like that brother/sister relationship. Happy Birthday to your "little bro"!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Existential Waitress. Thanks! He's a good dude.

linlah said...

Little brothers are a pain the ass and the love in our heart.

Chief said...

sounds like January 24th brought forth some classic crazies!

Happy Birthday Bathroom Bro!

singedwingangel said...

awww how sweet... Happy Biorthday to your brother

Marla said...

What a good big sister you are!!!

MODG said...

you are the cutest petootest

MiMi said...

Oh, how sweet! Happy birthday to little bro!

Tracie said...

Happy Birthday little brother! If you are half as awesome as your sis, you're a pretty great guy!

blueviolet said...

Happy Birthday to your little brother!!! I can picture those toughskins, oh man, can I picture them!

Sara said...

What is it about boys and dogs and their spit being interchangeable?

Well, it's nice to know he's an animal lover!

Susan Fobes said...

I always wanted a brother... Not Toughskins though-never wanted these.

DG, I tagged you in a 10 things that make me happy meme, but if you got it before, you can disregard.

Allyson said...

And will you be eating that cake all by yourself?? Because it looks really good and if you need some help...

Happy birthday to your "little" brother! I'm sure he feels extra blessed to have you blog about his bathing resistance and his propensity for highwaters. That's awesome. If either of you ever had braces, I'm sure there's some stories in there, too.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Linlah - On point my friend. Totally on point.

Chief - You betcha! And Happy Birthday to you!

Angel - Thanks!

Marla - I'm a lucky big sister.

MODG - Thanks doll!

MiMi - Thanks!

Tracie - Thanks. He's a fantastic person. I am lucky to have him.


Blue Violet - They were classic 70's pants.

Sara - We had an adorable dog. I never wanted to share one of his bones, but he was adorable.

Susan - Thanks for the tag. I am way behind on these things. I will pop over and take a look!

Allyson - My family and I ate that cake like it would give us magic powers.

That's the benefit of annonymous blogging. I can talk about mildly embarrasing things without worry. And besides, he's such a fastidious individual now, there is great humor in contrast to his eight year old ways.

Kimberly said...

OMG! I almost cried! My brother is the baby, and I am the eldest. I feel it too. I just love my baby brother, and I still help take care of him and his family.

Baby brothers...I lovingly refer to mine as "Bubby"

Arizona Mamma said...

Love this. I have to know what happened with the storm door. Did you get caught? Did it actually work?

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kimberly - His son reminds me so much of him as a child. I am so lucky to live near them and to be around them.

AZ Mamma - It did work. It was one of our better schemes. The fact that the door was rotted out and on its last legs helped our plot.

Aunt Juicebox said...

Happy Birthday to your little bro. Wish mine had turned out like yours.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Aunt Juicebox - Is he a candidate for Look What Fell off My Family Tree Fridays?

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

a - i wish you were my sister, that was so sweet and my sisters never say any nice mushy stuff to me

b - i am dying for some cake and i know yours would be good b/c you like to cook ;0 have a great day!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

SFTC - Thanks! He is well worth the effort to bake a cake (oh how I wish I had a slice right now). And anytime you want someone to sing your praises, I'll sign up ( you just have to let me mix in stories about your highwater pants. Small price to pay in my eyes).

Salt said...

Happy belated to your bro! What is it with boys and sharing licks of things with the dog? My little brothers have done gross stuff like that also.

Amy said...

That is unbelievably sweet!

Can't believe you two tied wire from the neighbor's door to their car! Ballsy, DG!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DG'S BROTHER!!!!!!!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Salt - Boys are not usually aware of germs.

Amy - Oy! That should be the worst we did. We were into all kinds of mischief. Thick as thieves, as they say.

miss jo said...

What a great sister and co-conspirator ! Now he can never run for President ! :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Miss Jo - We had a weird and wacky childhood. neither of us are cut out for politics. Too ethical ;)

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: