Sunday, January 10, 2010

Music to Bake Cookies By

What is the soundtrack of your life in the kitchen? Do you make marinara to Puccini? Creme brulee to Edith Piaf? Slow smoke some Texas Barbecue to Waylon Jennings? Not me. I do most of my cooking and baking on the weekends, which means that I am serenaded by the pop-punk stylings of my son's band. For me, the smell of buttery, freshly baked cookies is a sense memory associated with Blink 182 and Green Day.




Today I decided that I was in the mood for soft, chewy M&M cookies because I had a gorgeous block of Irish Butter that was just pleading to be baked with (Pretty sure it pleaded with a brogue). So I searched around and found a recipe on Martha Stewart.Com. A quick review of the recipe showed a promising ratio of brown to white sugar and a healthy shot of vanilla, which really appealed to me. It being a Martha Stewart recipe, did not appeal to me, however.



I know, I know. She's supremely talented and she is a successful woman who has built an empire on the strength of her own sweat and hard work. I'm all about credit where credit is due. However, there are things about her that read false. For example, her Larchmont Lockjaw accent. She's a Jersey girl. Nutley New Jersey to be precise, which is about as far from the tony Connecticut coast where she landed as a married woman as it is from Beirut. Under that affected accent and WASPy exterior beats the heart of a spray tanned, Bumpit wearing Snookie. If Martha would do more to acknowledge her humble beginnings and defrost some of that adopted Connecticut iciness, I might respect her more. But I digress. . .




THIS


PLUS THESE




EQUALS THIS





Despite my personal misgivings about Martha herself, I went ahead and made her recipe. Good thing I did because they deliver on their promise of a soft and chewy cookie and the taste of the Irish butter was not lost in the mix. I chose to substitute Valentines M&Ms for half the chocolate chips (because I'm festive like that) and the results were quite fab.







So what was today's cookie sense memory song? I have attached it below. This will stay in my head for the rest of the week until next week's band practice knocks it out with something else. God forbid I walk past a Mrs Fields and get a whiff of cookie goodness, I will end up humming and whistling it for the rest of the day. Something tells me that this NEVER happens to Martha Stewart.


I must admit, I LOVE this song and the kids do a pretty amazing cover of it. It sounds like cookies, no? OK maybe not.

40 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Masala Chica said...

DG,

I did not realize Martha was a Jersey girl. No way! I can not imagine her being from Nutley - that is too weird. What the heck is Irish butter? Is it anything like Bailey's Irish Cream? Because if so, I am in!

Hysterical math equation as well. You really know how to add.

Kiran

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Those cookies sound awesome and would be so perfect with the tea I am having right.

Martha Stewart though? She's one of the few people I just can't bring myself to like. She just seems so arrogant to me.

peewee said...

oh, i can see that Jersey Girl in her alrighty! Puh-lease. What do you think landed her in the pokey!? You can flatten your claw bangs all you want martha...but WE KNOW ooooooh boy. Do WE know!

MiMi said...

Oooh, I like that song! And um, yeah, Martha does a good job of fronting because I had no clue that she was from Jersey. Okay, also? I love that you started talking about cookies and punk rock and did a ginormous tangent about M.Stew. :) A girl after my own heart.

Susan Fobes said...

The cookies I like, the song,hmm-not so much, but that's how I feel about any song I can't understand the lyrics too. Yes, I'm getting old...

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kiran - Irish butter is just butter from ireland. It is sweeter and more yellow than Land O Lakes (probs because of the cow's diet on that green, green grass)


Nancy - She is arrogant for sure. I tried to disassociate her from the recipe, but her name is all over the website where I found it.

PeeWee - You know it sister!

MiMi - Fronting is the word. She is from a very blue collar background.

Susan - We aren't supposed to like the song, but my arrested development kinda makes me an anomaly.

Existential Waitress said...

I really loved this post. Somehow you combined Snookie/Jersy Shore, Martha Stewart, pop/ punk music, and fresh-baked cookies. Pure awesomeness!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Existential Waitress - I'm all over the map tonight. I'd love be able to focu. . .is that Elvis?

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said...

Did you ever see that made-for-TV movie they made about Martha, a few years back? I think Cybil Shepherd played Martha. Anyway. Man, she has one checkered past, kind of. And I am highly suspicious of anyone whose personal greenhouses (freakin' GREENHOUSES!) are that lush. You know her estate is rife with illegal immigrants, watering and fertilizing their poor, underpaid hearts out.

Your cookies look yummy.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kate - Yes. I remember that. I think her gardener in either the Hamptons or CT sued her.

Eternally Distracted said...

Great cookies - great song! I have the music bit sussed, just need to improve on the cooking bit!

singedwingangel said...

OK Ihave never heard of Irish butter either, ya leanr somehting new every day.. I am not very wild about Martha either she is just so ding dang "perfect" or acts like it... which irritates me to no end..

Sara said...

You know what's always welcome when I'm cooking? Anything Latin and uptempo. Or, on the flip side, Adele.

And I've pretty much convinced that if Martha Stewart and Oprah got into a fight, worlds would collide and a second Cher would be created.

Marla said...

"...spray tanned, Bumpit wearing Snookie." Oh my goodness, you are clever!

The cookies look delicious even if they came through Martha. All credit goes to you in my book.

Good post!

linalh said...

Would love to see a video of the HOUSE band doing that song. As far as the cookie recipes...the review is mixed yum-oh, it's a good thing.

miss jo said...

It would be great to see Martha uncensored. I wonder what she was like when she was doing a stretch for insider trading. Her recipes have always worked for me. Her complicated crafts scare me. :)

Michelle said...

The bumpit is so 2009, it's all about the Booty Pop.... *headdesk*

wheelyboy said...

Poor old Martha. I mean RICH young --------------- you get my drift anyway

miss jo said...

OMG ! I almost forgot to wish you happy first blogaversary on Jan. 11 ! Congratulations on keeping your witty tales and thoughtful insights rolling for us read.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

I believe Martha has teams of elegant gay men running her empire and writing her recipes. She's just a beard for those tasteful and well appointed east coast men. I will eat those cookies any day of the week, sister.

Michele said...

I've tried to like Martha... I just can't.
Bet those cookies were good though. Nice touch with the Valentines M&M's... they look YUM.

Maven said...

I've never tried a Martha cookie recipe but am relieved to know that despite her prickly exterior she can produce a soft cookie :-)

blueviolet said...

Oh, oh, oh! You like Brand New?!! I love them! I feel the same way you do about Martha. She's just so pretentious and uppity that it really draws away from her creations for me.

The cookies do look exceptionally scrumptious though!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Eternally Distracted - These were incredibly easy. They are worth a shot.

Singed Winged Angel - Her perfection is well orchestrated by an army of terrified employees.

Sara - I think you're right. Let's push the two of them into a phone booth and see if anything comes out wearing Bob Mackie.

Marla - Thanks. I have had problems with some of MS's early recipes from the 80's, but now that she has an army of minions to test her recipes. They actually work now.

Linlah - That's the crap thing about blogging anonymously. I can't promote the band. They have their own Facebook and Myspace and probably don't want to be associated with some old lady's cookie blog.

Miss Jo - Yeah, something tells me that she unwinds with a vat of burbon and a profanity laced tirade on the nearest minion as soon as the cameras stop rolling.

Thank you for the Blogiversary wishes!

Michelle -I had never heard of the Booty Pop, so I checked it out on your tube. That's just disturbing.

Wheelboy - I think she is a miserable person. No amount of cash can make that go away.


LPR - Make no mistake, there are def an army of FAAAAAABULOUS and brow beaten gay men arranging (and rearranging) flowers and writing recipes for her. Word on the street is that working for her is like working for Gengis Khan, only not as friendly.

Michele - I can't like her either. I have heard that when she was with CBS, her entrance to the building was just like Merril Streep's in her entrance scene in The Devil Wears Prada.

Maven - Prickly doesn't quite cover it. It's like the woman is covered in shards of glass.

Blueviolet - Yeah and she's not the genuine article, like she'd have you believe. Can't hate on the recipe though. It was really great.

Amy said...

One of my favorite things about our new house is going to be the speakers we are installing in each of the rooms. I am so giddy about cooking to the likes of Louis Armstrong, Kings of Leon, and Led Zeplin I can barely contain myself!

It's pretty kickass DG that your son plays this kind of music! I wish like hell Jackson grows up to be a little rocker (minus the attitude and drug habit of course!) one day!

Brand New is a fantastic band. My favorite melancholy tune to listen to when I'm down (yeah, I'm a dork like that!) is "Jesus Christ" by Brand New. Check it out sometime. Cool song.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Amy - I love band practice. I really like most of the stuff they play (minus the real thrash/screamo stuff that they noodle around with). I am with you on the attitude and drug habit part. I sleep with one eye open.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

on vaca i ate my body weight in food. literally. and now today i am going back to 'normal' eating. reading this did not help!

Aunt Juicebox said...

I've got some cookie dough in the fridge right now. I've been trying to ignore til thursday, when I can make it for band and get the cookies out of the house so I don't eat them all myself. Not very low carb friendly. But I love cookies pretty much above all other sweet things.

Kiera said...

I am just JUST coming to terms to martha. she's a guilty pleasure of mine :) you're soo ffunnnnNNy

3LittleMonkeys said...

That is so funny about Martha...I'm trying to imagine here wearing a Bumpit!
BTY, those cookies look fab!

Honey B. said...

Hah! Bumpit wearing Snookie....best line of the day, by far!

KK said...

Whatever Martha is my favorite show, because they make fun of her. I don't have soundtracks of cooking in my head, but pretty much everything else. I do ALWAYS add M&Ms to my chocolate chip cookies though. Yummy!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

SFTC - Love vacation eating! Such wild abandon!

Aunt Juicebox - I haven't met a carb friendly cookie that I liked.

Kiera - She really is a polarizing personality and there is a coming to terms process with her.

3 Little Monkeys - You know she could rock the bumpit and the spray tan, HARD.

Honey B - Get a mental image of that. Good for a giggle, right?

KK - M&Ms in cookies. . . not just for kids anymore.

Mary K Brennan said...

I have yet to make a successful Martha recipe. Her Christmas egg nog was so potent that I think I was getting drunk before it even made the punch bowl.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Mary K - Sounds like my kinda eggnog. I always had a suspicion that Martha liked her Burbon. A lot!

Insanitykim said...

Sweet! I stopped licking the screen long enough to read the post and give you a high-five in the air for calling out Ms. Stewart!

Yay for food pix!

Hmmm...I don't personally listen to music whilst I cook, but hubby listens to Satriani when he is making his homemade pizza dough...hot.ness.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kim - Hotness is a man who cooks.

kys said...

I don't particularly like Martha either but she is the expert on all things domestic. I avoid her show but use her website a little bit if I'm feeling all 50's housewife. (It's one of my personalities.)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kys - When I feel my 50's housewife coming out, I give her a vat of martinis and send her off to watch MadMen.I can't give her any play as she makes the rest of my personalities look bad.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: