Friday, January 1, 2010

No Resolutions Here


I know that I'm supposed to do a New Year's post, where I talk about my resolutions or how thankful I am for all the good stuff in my life, etc. But I try very hard to examine my crappiness all year long and see opportunity for improvement all along the way. Let's face it, if I only tried to correct my bad behavior once a year, my kids would be slipping me their Christmas lists under the Plexiglas divider in county lock-up.




So what can I do to kick off the new decade in Diary style and show that I am caring, sharing and completely bereft of ideas? A top five list. Being that I am too lazy to do a top ten list, I am going to share with you, my top five whatevers of this decade - music, TV, ad nauseum, ad infinitum (well, not really, I'm only going up to 5).






1) Teen Girl Squad 0n Homestarrunner.com - I was introduced to this online cartoon when I wanted to check up on what my son was watching a few years back. This is such a sharp satire of High School politics, I almost thought it was over his head. The episodes get better as they go up in number. Unfortunately, they stopped at episode 14 and I am very, very sad. Don't forget to look for the Easter egg at the end of the cartoon. Most have it.




2) Anchorman - If there is one movie from this decade that I have watched entirely too many times, it's Anchorman. The whole Sex Panther scene never gets old. "It has bits of real panther, so you know it's good."




3) Spectacle - Elvis Costello with . . . This one's a bit of a no-brainer for me, as I am obsessed with Elvis Costello. When I initially heard of this project, I wondered what kind of interviewer he was going to be. It was hard to wrap my head around the concept, but it has been fascinating to watch him. It points out that even in the blinding glow of his own awesomeness, he is a true fan of music and is awestruck by the work of others in the same manner that I am awestruck by him.






4) The Boy From Oz - This was without a doubt, the best Broadway performance that I have ever seen. Hugh Jackman somehow managed to make Peter Allen sexy. He got the Tony because he earned the Tony.




5) Glee - For a self-confessed Broadway nerd like myself, a show like Glee is a fabulous, show tuney gift, all wrapped up in glitter with a giant bow on top. Add Jane Lynch to the mix and it's fabulosity goes off the charts. Her Sue Sylvester is so deliciously evil, that I can't recall a single television villain that can come remotely close.




Well, that's it. That's all my lazy ass can muster this Friday morning. I am going spend the rest of the afternoon reveling in the sloth that is New Years day. I might read a book, I might watch TV, or I might just go back to bed. That's what this day is all about. And despite only giving you a top five list, I still earned that sloth, so I am off to revel in it unapologetically. I hope you do the same.




Happy New Year all!!!








43 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Arizona Mamma said...

You mustered a heck of a lot more than I did for a post! Glad I am not the only one who feels compelled to do a recap of the previous year, or share how my life is going to suddenly morph into Cleaver land. I have never been a New Year resolution person either. I totally focus on small goals through out the year.

Insanitykim said...

Yeah... *sitting*

Happy New Year! zzzzzzz

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Elvis Costello is my secret boyfriend. Does that make you the other woman, or me?

You are a delight.

Happy New Year, Lady.

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

Anchorman is the best. Ever. My ringtone for when my husband calls goes like this...

Do you know who I am?

No, I can't say that I do.

I don't know how to put this...but I'm kind of a big deal.

Really?

People know me.

I'm so happy for you.

And when I am in public, people trip out when they hear it as if Will Ferrell himself is behind them in line. Idiots.

3LittleMonkeys said...

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions either! I make them all year, and then of course miserably fail and stuff my face with chocolate and....
Happy 2010!

Michele said...

Happy New Year, Darlin...
Great post.

Enjoy your day..;)

Allyson said...

Well now I'm going to have to go and click on every single one of your links because the only one I'm familiar with is Anchorman. Darn you. I must *do* something today?? Well, maybe I'll do it tomorrow. I appreciate the list, anyway!

Existential Waitress said...

Happy New Year! I agree with no resolutions here thing too. Hope you have a nice, chill day.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Arizona Mommy -No Cleaverland here, that's for sure!

Insanity Kim - It feels good to veg.

LPR - If Diana Krall is good enough to share, we can split the remainder down the middle. I'm not greedy, as long as I get serenaded with "Brilliant Mistake" while I fold laundry.

Monique - Totally jealous!!! Want that ringtone.

Three Little Monkeys - Mmmmmm chocolate.

Michele - Thanks. Have a fab day!

Allyson - By all means, put it off until tomorrow. Today is meant for doing nothing.

Existential Waitress - It is looking that way. . . chill (aka lazy).

Kiera said...

please tell me that instead of just sitting around reading, you're also STUFFING YOUR HUNGOVER FACE LIKE ME?!?!?!? I need moral support here.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kiera - I ate a quarter of a pound of Genoa Salami. Does that count?

Working Mommy said...

I love me some home star runner...everyone needs a little trogdor in their lives!

~WM

Maven said...

I loved this!

And guess what? The PB graduated highschool with Diana Krall. She and Elvis Costello have a home not far from us so if I ever bump into them, I'll put in a good word for you ;)

Ron Burgundy ROCKS! And GLEE - I am OBSESSED.

Happy New Year to my favourite Mad Bathroom Diarist!

hokgardner said...

oh how i love glee! i'm counting the days until it returns.

happy new year.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Working Mommy - Oh, thank god! I am so used to getting blank stares when I mention it, that I am actually shocked when someone knows it. Remember - Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!

Maven - OMG! Pool Boy just got a million cool points with me. And to be referred to as a favourite with the Canadian spelling, is awesome!

Hokgardener - Have to look for a countdown widget for the blog. . .

Erin said...

I so didn't do a new year's post. I didn't do resolutions (which doesn't mean it's not on my mind, I just know my propensity for failure). I plagiarized myself for lack of any material worth sharing with BlogLand.

I am sad to report that I keep hearing all about Glee and I still haven't ever set my damn DVR. Must remedy that immediately!

Happy New Year!

Susan Fobes said...

We all relaxed to the max around here as well. (I was still in pjs at noon today!) I liked your list...

Chief said...

We are peas in a pod my friend!

Happy new year

The Rambler said...

I had to stop by after reading your Starbucks comment on Mass HOle Mommy. FUNNY.

Anchorman...buwahahahaha...I could laugh all day watching that movie. (okay, well not ALL day, but most of the day)

:)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Erin - Hulu also has all the episodes available to watch for free.

Susan - NEVER got out of mine. NEVER left the house. Did NOTHING. Of course, today will be crazed, but that down day was so worth it.

Chief - Happy New Year!

Rambler - I am drinking a hot cup of ass right now and I am savoring every drop. I am Starbucks' bitch and I can own that. Welcome. Good to have you here.

Carrie said...

oooooooo... I'd love if you'd link your anti-resolutions to my resolutions linky! It's the ying to my yang!

http://makinglemonadeblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/you-say-you-want-resolution.html

Stopping by from SITS... so glad I did...

Shell said...

I'm already beginning to regret my resolutions...

Love Glee. Wednesday nights were like perfection for me this fall: So You Think You Can Dance, followed by Glee, and then on to Top Chef. I was in a tv coma on Wednesdays.

Bathwater said...

Glee is ruining the blog world! :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Carrie - Done and I love your blog, it's so lemony fresh.

Shell - Don't even get me started on top chef. Love, love, love.

Bathwater - Dudes can't hang with Glee for the most part.

Existential Waitress said...

Love your blog and left you an award at mine if you get the time to check it out. :)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Happy New Year! Stopping by from SITS!

peewee said...

I did! I did do the same. I read a book all day, Lifetime TV, Law & Order reruns, naps. I am hoping it's a precursor to the year ahead! lots and lots of naps :)

linlah said...

That top 5 was like the most glorious rainbow ever.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Existential Waitress - ooooh goody. I'll be over to see in a little bit!

JDaniel4's Mom - Thanks!

Pee Wee - Way to celebrate!

Linlah - I really cheaped out with 5 instead of 10, right?

Tiffany said...

i'm pretty sure i didn't even take my do-rag off on friday. i might have changed my underwear. don't quote me on that though.

happy new year.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Tiffany - That's the way to do it!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Happy new year! I definitely try to keep myself on track all year round... a once-a-year effort isn't going to get anywhere!

Carrie said...

Thanks for linking!!!

blueviolet said...

I really can't do the resolutions either. I know my limitations.

Lin said...

Gees, I love Glee too. I missed a lot of the beginning shows so I'm thinking of picking up the DVD with the whole first season on it so I can catch up. Mixing the show tunes with show choir is like heaven. Did I mention that my kid plays in the combo band for our school's show choir??

And I'm with you on Elvis Costello. LOVE him. Saw him in concert with the Police a year or so ago--he was FAB!!!

Menopausal New Mom said...

Happy New Year to you too! I love Elvis Costello, I've been listening to him since the early 1980's, "Taking Liberties" What a talent!!!!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Rachel - To me, it's like going to the gym once a year - your heart is in the right place, but your results will be limited.


Carrie - No problem. It is my first time using Mr Mc Linky. I was nervous that I would fail.


Blue Violet - I can't set myself up for failure. It makes me sad.

Lin - So you get to go to actual Show Choir shows? Lucky you! We don't have that in our district, but we have a great theater program.


Menopausal New Mom - Taking Liberties is an oldie but a goodie. It's amazing that he is still so relevant today. I think the reason that the music holds up and the reason that I love him so much is just brilliant writing.

Sara said...

I quote Anchorman to the point of queasiness. That movie never fails to amuse me. My favorite part is the rendition of "Afternoon Delight".

Also, Jane Lynch needs to create her own award. She needs something unique to her amazingness.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sara - I'm not even sure that Jane Lynch is human.

kys said...

Love, love, love Glee! My family is so sick of hearing me blast the soundtrack day and night.

I hope you have an awesome 2010! I'm glad to have "met" you way back in '09.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kys - Same here dude! I feel like a bloggy old timer and I have only been here for a year.

miss jo said...

Thank you for your fabulous five, all of which squeaked past me, but I will check out...Boy, do I miss being a couple hour drive from NYC to see a show !

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: