Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Generation Gap in the House

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm the type of mom that is more prone to laugh when my son substitutes words for male genitals in a song than I am to give him a stern admonition about the propriety of doing so. I have also said (and probably demonstrated) that my unsophisticated sense of humor is stalled at a level on par with a 9 year old boy.

But every now and then, the generation gap rears its ugly head and waves a bony finger in my face to say "You're not so cool. You don't get it old lady. Go take some Geritol and floss your dentures." Those times are usually the YouTube times.

My daughter has become obsessed with making and viewing YouTube videos. The content that she puts out there is very silly and usually aimed at professing love for Miley Cyrus or whatever. Harmless, really. It's when she runs down to me, laptop in hand, to excitedly show me someone else's new, "hilarious" video that has 3 Million views. I appease her and watch them, but more often than not, I am left with a blank expression, muttering "Three million views. I don't get it.".

Here is a partial list of videos that she has shown me recently, that are totally lost on me. Please tell me that I'm not crazy and that you do not find them blisteringly funny. If you do find them funny, I will know that it is a flag of the defeat of my brain by the aging process.
Depending on your comments, I will either:

a) buy a cool new pair of boots and big, sparkly earrings
b) Buy a walker and orthopedic shoes.

My fate is in your hands. . .

Where's the Chapstick:



Spaghetti Cat:



Sittin on the Toilet:




I weep for the youth of America. Except when Homestarrunner is on. Now that shit's just funny.

31 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Too funny! My b/f sends me youtube videos ALL THE TIME and I don't get most of them. Sometimes I crack a smile, but not often.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

MassHole Mommy - I am at a loss with these three vids (and most others that my kids show me).

hokgardner said...

Buy yourself the boots and earring, cause I don't get the videos either.

So far, my kids are ignorant of the timesuck that is youtube. I know it won't last long, though.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

HOKgardener - Thanks. I am glad to have two votes for sparkly and none so far for orthopedic.

Alyssa said...

Oh, dear, I'm ashamed to admit I like Spaghetti Cat...probably because my brain has been severly affected by one too many refrains of "Wonder pets, wonder pets..."

Definite vote for the sparkly.

Kimberly said...

Boots and glitter...WTH

I think when we are young we find so many things funny. I remember my sister and I would go upstairs and laugh and laugh about nothing.

singedwingangel said...

OK the first one I kinda get cause the girl was doing the background beats for Crazy Frog... and kinda sounded like him, BUT I didn't find it funny. The other 2 are questionable although the toilet woman I nearly fell out of my chir laughing at that she announced she was auditioning for Sunday Best which is a gospel competetion on BET hosted by Kirk Franklin, MaryMary and BeBe Winans. I am PRETTY sure that ain't gonna cut it.. cause ummm yeah I actually watch that competition..
If it helps any my 10 yr old son was sitting behind me with this perplexed look on his face and said uh mom not one of those are funny??

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

ok i need to get a life b/c i watched them all. i did laugh at the 1st two but mainly spaghetti cat b/c i love the soup and joel mchale. the chick on the toilet was eh. the four gregs were wonderful. this all just proves that technically i am retarded.

MiMi said...

I watched em all and I think that on the 1st and 3rd, someone just needed to smack em upside the head. Yikes.

Denise said...

FUNNY! LMAO!


Stopping by from SITS!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

foxy said...

Okay, I'm with you TOTALLY. I don't get the chapshit, the toilet or the stupid cat.

But the link at the bottom is some funny stuff. And I'd never seen before, so thanks for that. ;)

Sara said...

The Chapstick thing annoyed the shit out of me. I don't get Spaghetti Cat and the toilet thing mostly grossed me out.

Homestarrunner, however, is freaking brilliant.

I will call out, "Awiiiight!" every now and again but nobody gets it. Today's youth is screwed. They're not funny.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Alyssa - Of the three, I hate it the least.

Kimberly - Yeah, my brother and I did the same thing. I imagine that 'sittin on a toilet', if viewed with my brother for the first time, thirty odd years ago, might have gotten us laughing. Maybe.

Angel - If your 10 year old didn't like it, then I feel better. My daughter loses her mind over these.

SFTC - Also love the Soup, but guess I have missed spaghetti cat. Four Gregs is a comedy masterpiece. But, it's a thoughtful satire on nerds and teen life. Sittin on a Toilet is about singing and making a fudgesicle. Not much thought in that.

Mimi - Oh yeah. The beatings need to be dished.

Denise - Thanks.

Foxy - Homestarrunner.com is one of the most insanely brilliant things I have ever come across. Enjoy!

Sara - I'd get it if you said it to me. My favorite of the homestarrunner.com cartoons are the Powered by the Cheat and Teen Girl Squad episodes. Love. Love. Love.

Existential Waitress said...

Um, I too weep for today's youth b/c that shit just ain't funny - well, Spaghetti Cat had potential, but it still didn't quite make the cut somehow. the other two were just freakin' awful and reminded me of that movie Idiocracy. My kids would probably find this stuff hilarious too. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Do a search for Jim Carrey and Tony Clifton. You will find a press conference in a hotel for Man on the Moon that is obviously staged but hits an all time low in the lase 40 seconds

3LittleMonkeys said...

Yup, no laughing here either.
And what is with boys substituting genitalia words in songs? My hubby does that ALL THE TIME! I guess it doesn't stop with 9 year old boys!

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

ok, LOVE LOVE LOVE Spaghetti Cat. Joel McHale originally made him famous on The Soup. The Chapstick Girl was awful, and I am embarrassed to admit that I totally laughed at the toilet chick.

linlah said...

Love the first one but that's not Chapstick of which I'm a loyal fan.

# 2 love the cat with Tom Selleck I'm so old.

#3 - Time for the Geritiol, yum iron.

The Homestarrunner - OMG, now 1, now 2, now 3, now five, whatever I was a cheerleader.

Conquer The Monkey said...

i watched spaghetti cat first bc i love cats, these vidoes .... well, i don't get it!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The videos were not that funny but i must admit the lady dropping a duece kind of got a chuckle out of me.I was just waiting for the Oh snap or oh no you ditint or mmmmm hmmmmm.Just go get that geritol oh aged blogger.

Mama to 3 boys said...

http://xoxomamato3boysxoxo.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-award.html

I just wanted to stop by and say that I chose you for the Beautiful Blog Award!

Marla said...

I vote you go with A. But then, I am old so what do I know.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Existential Waitress - Thank you. I am glad I'm not the only one that this is completely lost on.

Anonymous - OK. Will do.

3 Little Monkeys - I kind of wish my husband would do that.

Monique - If you liked toilet girl, you should look her up on youtube. There are about 100 remixes, cartoons and other remakes.

Lilah - You liked the chapstick thing, huh? Can you write me a 200 word essay on the social relevance of chapstik girl, cause, I don't get it.

Cameron - Being that you are clearly younger and hipper than me, I am releived that you don't get it either. Sparkly earrings and hign boots, here we come!

Anonymous - Dang!
.
Mama to 3 Boys - Well, aren't you nice. Thanks!

Marla - Yay! Sparkly!

Tracie said...

Spaghetti cat is mildly amusing to me. The rest are lame. My kids are into the Youtube videos too and the stuff they make is just dumb. Or maybe I'm just old.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Tracie - I know. All those years developing a sense of humor, only to have it flushed with "Sittin on tha Toilet".

KK said...

Not funny, just dumb!

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

I watched these, but only because I love you.
I feel your pain. Also, I am very old.

The Daily Dose said...

Ok, so they're mostly pointless. Spaghetti Cat did get my attention enough to watch it twice. There. I said it. Shameless.
Best of luck, I'm off to watch homestarrunner

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

KK - I know. Super dumb, right?

LPR - Thank you for confirming that I am old.

Daily Dose - Two views too many, perhaps ;)

miss jo said...

Yes, everyone in these videos needs a new life. Well, except Spaghetti Cat !....

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: