Thursday, August 12, 2010

Two Weeks of Words

I'm a word lover. Not in a freaky "do me with the letter A" kinda way. It's more that I like and admire people with broad vocabularies, who can turn a phrase and use words creatively. Most of you definitely fall into that category, or I wouldn't be reading your blogs.

Because I believe that you have the requisite mad skillz, I would like to issue a challenge to you. I want you to wow me with your vast vocabularies, your boundless abilities with grammar, your sizzling and skillful syntax (OK, forget grammar. Grammar is for weenies. Syntax is the shiz.).

Here's how it's gonna work:

Every couple of days, I am going to throw out a word. It may be a mundane word, it may be an obscure word, if I'm feeling bitchy, it might be in a language other than English. Whatever, it's my challenge, I do what I want. You will need to take that word and (in the words of the amazing and fabulous Tim Gunn), "Make it work" in a sentence. Simply leave your brilliance in the comments section of the post.

I am not going to respond in comments to any your sentences until the end of the two weeks of words. At that point, I am going to write a post that knits together a story based on my favorite sentences from each word posting (with proper credit due, of course).

The net result is that we are going to write something together. Experiment! So exciting!

So, are you up for it? Do you have the lexical greatness that this challenge demands? I think you do. The first word will be posted this weekend. Show me that my utter faith in your greatness is not unfounded. I am prepared to be dazzled.

22 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

sarah said...

i can do this. I'm used to having to write stories using all of my kids spelling and vocabulary words. You get some interesting stories that way. One year the very first list included "handkerchief" and "smelly" my son created the characters "handkerchief and smelly" and used them as the two main characters for every story all year. It was a lot of fun for all of us. His teacher kept every story.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sarah - Excellent, then. I look forward to the application of your vocabulary prowess.

foxy said...

I love it! And, hell yeah... I'm ready for the challenge.

Linda Medrano said...

Fun idea! I'll play!

hokgardner said...

I love words too, especially what I call "quarter words." I can't wait for the first one.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Here are two words for you: BRING IT.

Allyson said...

As long as it's all about syntax and not grammar, I'm down with that...cuz y'know...grammar and I go way back but I would pop a cap in that bitch's ass if it got too close to my blog.

SurferWife said...

But! Are you prepared to be vajazzled?

I'm in. Obvs.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Foxy - I dig your enthusiasm. I expect great things. . .

Linda - You go girl! Get down with your bad typin self.

Hokgardener - I have a couple of half dollar words for ya!

LPR - I knew you'd be down for the challenge!I can't wait to see your game face.

Allyson - Heart. Heart. Heart. I know that you will make magic.

Surfer Wife - Hey, I was gonna use vajazzled . . . Dang! :P

Beth Zimmerman said...

Sounds really fun! :)Okay ... that was an incredibly uninspired comment for such a rich challenge. I'm tired! :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Beth - Glad you're in. Let's see what you've got!

Aging Mommy said...

Sounds fun - I am going in vacation and taking a blogging break but when I come back, if you're still going, I shall have a go. I love a new challenge - even if it scares me :-)

The Empress said...

Oh, bring it...unless, of course, it already done been brung. Like, I missed it.

I know words.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Aging Mommy - Great! Jump in whenever you can, and have a great vacation!

Empress - I know that you will excel at this.

Sara said...

Clearly I'm not nearly as smart as you think I am because I finished reading your post and I thought, "Well... where's the word? She forgot to give us a word! How will I come up with something clever and original if I don't have the word?!"

Then I reread the last paragraph.

It hurts to be me sometimes.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sara - My faith in you remains unshaken.

linlah said...

Make it Word!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Linlah - Yes, please do.

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

Oh Yay! I love a challenge...even one I might suck at.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded - I am sure that you will make a stellar showing.

KK said...

Fun!!

jules said...

Wow. I mean, I love words, but you are bad ass! That is a challenge. Lets see how scary your words are to me!

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: