Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cornetti - Neither a Total Fail nor a Total Win


In my ongoing quest to prolong the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy, I have taken a swipe at the standard breakfast food of the Italians -Cornetti. A cousin to the croissant, cornetti have a slightly less rigid fold/chill/turn/chill process. It is basically a brioche dough with butter (or burro if you want to be all Italian about it) between the sheets.

Now, I am not going to pretend that they came out perfect, as a matter of fact they look a little like they got worked over by a marauding band of prune danish. But I would definitely call it a respectable first try.

Most of them are plain, glazed with a light coating of sugar syrup before baking. I filled a couple with Nutella for my daughter. Try as I might to like that stuff, I just can't stomach the flavor of hazlenut (Which reminds me of my favorite scene from the movie Best in Show. Please humor my painfully short attention span and see below). Next up, I make a Crema Pasticceria (pastry cream), which was my favorite filling for the Cornetti and we have a delicious Italian breakfast for tomorrow. Now if only I could make a cappuccino that is even half as good as they do in Italian gas stations. . .

Have a happy weekend and stop naming nuts!



7 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

hokgardner said...

I don't like nutella, either. But those look yummy!

Aging Mommy said...

Oh my, cornetti with pastry cream, can I come over for breakfast please?
I think yours look pretty fabulous and the most important thing anyway is how they taste.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Hokgardener- Thanks. They were a labor of love.

Aging Mommy - I just ate one and it does taste much better than it looks. I'll save you one ;)

Sara said...

Oh my gosh, I love Nutella. I'd put it on my steak if I didn't think that was offensive to cows.

Do you know that NOBODY where I live has seen Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman or A Mighty Wind? Hell, I doubt any of them have seen Spinal Tap for that matter.

Pistachio nut.....brazil nut....cashew nut...

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sara - I think it's your moral obligation to educate these people. Have a film festival or something. Get them up to speed!

Aunt Juicebox said...

For a minute I thought they were wrapped in bacon.....

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

AuntJuicebox - you might be on to something there. . .

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: