Sunday, September 19, 2010

The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same

My generation's teen hearthrob:



This generation's teen heartthrob:


My generation's skinny little musician:


This generation's skinny little musician:



My generation's WTF?




This generation's WTF?















39 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Cadywax said...

So, who is this generation's Mason Reese?

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Cadywax - This kid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJe7RA2wqI

hokgardner said...

What does it say about me that I have NO idea who any of those guys are?

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Hokgardener - It says that you are smart enough to stay away from mass media AND that you are much, much younger than me.

singedwingangel said...

EEEK I knew them all. Ok the first one was kind of eerie..then I have to add that our kids say MOM you have no taste lol.. oh really wanna look again..I LOVED DAVEY JONES LOVED HIM

Sara said...

I gotta be honest. I have no idea who the kid covering his nipples is.

I mean, I know he's not a Jonas brother. Honestly, it looks more like Kristen Stewart than anyone else.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Singed Winged Angel - Listen, you're going to have to wrestle Marcia Brady for Davey Jones. She may look innocent, but I hear she's kind of scrappy.

Sara - He is my daughter's "future husband". His name is Christopher Drew and he is in a band called Never Shout Never. I'm ok with whatever got her out of the Miley Cyrus trance.

Insanitykim said...

Hahahahahahah this was genius, seriously, and I am not saying that just because I have not slept in a month...when I finally fall asleep though, I might dream about smooth bulging pectoral muscles...that's almost worse than roundworms...

He is sweet isn't he? Zimmel...not Justin Beiber...

Lin said...

Ooooh, Bobby Sherman!! I can remember having total heartthrob debates with my cousin, sitting in their basement (unfinished, I might add--we didn't have such luxuries back in the day), listening to Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy, and Donny Osmond on our record player. RECORD PLAYER! You know, with the scratchy sounds and worn out needles.

I loved David Cassidy and my cousin loved Bobby Sherman. Oh, we'd go back and forth, perusing through Tiger Beat Magazines, discussing who's the cutest. Sigh. Man, those were good times. Good times.

I find it hilarious that there is a commercial that actually plays a Patridge Family song now. Everything old is new again, right?

And for the record (no pun intended), I still have all my Patridge Family Albums. :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Kim - Zimmel is cuter than ALL these guys. Especially Jimmy Osmond.

Lin - I wish I had the forethought to save all my albums. I had The Osmond Brothers, Bobby Sherman, To You with Love Donny, Partridge Family, David Cassidy. I had e'em all. I think I used them for experiments later on (trying to melt them in an easy bake oven, etc).

That One Mom said...

Sooo funny! My daughter would freak out at JB being a WTF. Sadly, the little guy has grown on me. That 2nd kid though? Scary!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

That One Mom - Are you familiar with Christopher Drew? If your daughter is between 9 and 12, he will become a reality soon enough.

Linda Medrano said...

Damn! I'm sure glad I had Elvis in my day!

SurferWife said...

Whoa. Kinda creepy. I have to say it though. You have really just dated yourself friend. I was also hoping you were going to use Jake Ryan for the 'old' generations heart throb.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Linda - Elvis works in all generations.

Surfer Wife - Admittedly, one of these is before my time and one of them I swooned over when I was six. I am probably somewhere between the Bobby Sherman and the Jake Ryan timeline. My real "teen" heartthrob was Benjamin Orr of the Cars.

Noelle said...

I don't know any of them! Does that mean I can't play with the big or little kids???

linlah said...

They're clones, for sure.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Brilliant.

Bobby Sherman's "Julie, Julie, Julie Do You Love Me"... I still have a cardboard 45 record that came on the back of a Raisin Bran cereal box - It was part of the box - You had to cut it out.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i think i feel a good deal better about myself since i don't know who 98% of the people are up there. so. maybe not. i don't have my finger on the pulse of ANYTHING.

Midwestern Mama Holly said...

OMG!! Bobby Sherman!! I had completely forgotten about him.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Noelle _ All the better for you. Truat me.

Linlah - I agree. My daughter would not,

LPR - I think I had that too, but sadly I kept nothing. . . Tossin' and turnin', and freezin' and burnin' and cryin' all through the night,

SFTC - I bet you know what LeBron James looks like shirtlees.

Midwestern Mamam Holly - He was the man for a while.

Catherine said...

Hopped over via Midwestern Mama's blog and you are a hoot. I love that we are from the same generation and Long Island! This was a very funny post and I agree with your choices 100%.

MiMi said...

OMG, that's hilarious.
And frightening.

foxy said...

Isn't that the truth?? SO FUNNY. :)

Sarah Lindahl said...

I see from the comments that the first pic is Bobby Sherman. I didn't know who he was back then but can I just say, "Hubba hubba!" He looks like a teenage John Edwards, who was also a dream before we knew what a skank-ho he is.

Erin said...

I am ROFL at sara's comment about Kristen Stewart. I needed a good giggle. Thanks, Diary!
;-)

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Ok...I don't know who either of those top guys are. I'm outta the loop I guess. JB is totally a WTF and I love Davey Jones. I've seen the Monkees live 4 or 5 times.

The Empress said...

You are a genius...

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Ugh, Justin Beeber (however you spell it) I cringe...eternally. WTF is right :)

Susan Fobes said...

Okay, the skinny little musician of today just plain scares me (not to mention the kiddo in the last pic...) LOL!

Bossy Betty said...

This just about sums it up!!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Catherine - Long Island in the house!

MiMI - Yeah, pretty scary. But no matter how similar these dudes look, my daughter will insins that I "just don't get it".

Foxy - Sombody needs to tell my daughther just how true this is..

Sarah - Yeah, Bobby Sherman was quite the babe in his day.

Erin - I know. He DOES look like Kristen Stewart and about as happy.

Mass Hole Mommy - Top 2 are Bobby Sherman and Zac Efron.

Empress - How kind of you to say, your highness.

Nancy - I know, right? His appeal is totally lost on me.

Susan - He looks scary, but he's really just a sweet little vegan. How scary could he be at 76 pounds?

Bossy Betty - Yup.

peewee said...

HAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! SO TRUE

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Pee Wee - Effron's there for you.

Amy said...

This is sheer brilliance! Love it!

Fickle Cattle said...

Hahahahaha.

Still, I love Zac Efron. He's the shiznit.

I am Fickle Cattle.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Amy - You don't fall into either of these age categories. Who should I put up there for you? The Backstreet Boys? Help me out here.

Fickle Cattle - I know lots of ladies that sweat him. He seems to have an appeal that crosses demographic lines.

a sweet pea. said...

oh i love this this post!!!! hahaha.

Allyson said...

A) That was truly alarming
B) Your generation HAD to have some equivalent to Lindsay Lohan
C) Are you OK? Are you having a midlife crisis? Why are we tripping down memory lane so much?

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: