Saturday, October 16, 2010

Falling for it

There are pros and cons to north east livin'. On the con side, the summers are slapabitch hot and humid and the winters are icy, cold and snowy. But on the pro side, we have fall. Not just your average fall, but crispy sweater weather, hot apple cider-drinkin, colors ablaze fall that makes you want to apologize to the bitch you slapped during your case of the summer crankies.



There are problems with fall though. In many ways, fall is kind of a supermodel girlfriend, gorgeous and all up in your business one day, then suddenly gone, leaving only a skeletal reminder of the warmth and beauty that you had when she was here. Ok, who are we kidding? Supermodels don't deserve to be compared to fall and they're not likely to be hanging around our asses for a day, no less a season.



Fall is much more like a very beautiful sweater that says hand wash, but you haughtily toss it in the regular cycle, rendering it threadbare before the chill has left the air. No, wait a minute, fall really isn't like a sweater or any article of clothing for that matter. Maybe it's more like a hawk soaring in a crystal clear- - - aw, screw it!


I'm not poetic and anyone who's ever had a conversation with me will tell you that I'm not deep. Nope. Pretty basic. Pretty inarticulate. But I really do love fall. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, there is something that I can compare fall to: Fall is like apple pie, slightly warm, sweet and golden and gone much too soon.



Happy fall everyone!


Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Apple Pie.


Montauk Daisies


Colorful falling maple leaves









28 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

hokgardner said...

I miss fall. I miss having seasons other than "hot" and "not hot."

From Tracie said...

In Florida we have hot and steamy, hot, and not quite so hot.

I would love to have fall.

...and some apple pie! Yum.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Hokgardener - We pay a price for the seasons, but on a gorgeous fall day, it seems worth it.

Tracie - Pretty much every visit I have ever made to Florida has been in July. Probs not the ideal time to go.

Sandra said...

You're right, fall is good. But it can be a sly bitch: one day it's sunny and hot, and the next there's GD snow on the ground!

MiMi said...

All I can think is that I want to eat that pie.

Kat said...

I love fall! I'm going to go ahead and blog about fall as well! :)

Sara said...

I like Fall.

And pie.

I think that's really all there is to say.

Well done.

Aging Mommy said...

I love fall, it has always been my favorite season and I love them all except for winter, cold, dull days are not my thing. Living here in the US I have fallen in love with pumpkin too, yet another reason now for me to love this season!

Teisha said...

Fall is my fave! But, I live in Iowa and we usually go from hot and humid to 4 days of fall then straight to snow. I. hate. snow.

FRANNIE said...

I'm from the Northeast so I know just what you mean.

The red leaves, pumpkin patches and hayrides are my Fall favorites.

Together We Save said...

Right now, Tennessee is having amazing fall weather, really makes me not want to come to work. LOL

foxy said...

Since the leaves in TX go from green to dead, I don't get too much fall around here. Foliage wise, anyway. I mean, it's definitely cooler at night, so that makes me happy. And I make some mean soups in the fall. And now that I'm craving sweets, I'm about to tear it up with fall baking.

peewee said...

oh yah. RUB IT IN why don't ya?

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sandra - I know. One day you're loving it and the next day it's leaving you.

Mimi - I believe that the road to heaven is paved with apple pie.

Kat - I am seldom the inspiration for anything,so I am glad to hear it!

Sara - I need to mail you a pie. I appreciate anyone that appreciates baked goods.

Aging Mommy - We do love the fall here in the states. People get all festive and decorative once the weather gets a little snappy.

Teisha - I would have thought that Iowa had some kind of fall. Hot to snow does not sound like a whole lot of fun.

Frannie - There's nothing not to love, except how fast it's gone.

Together We Save - Oh yes! Fall is prime hooky time!

Foxy - What is it about the fall that makes me want to be burried up to my elbows in flour? I just want to bake 24x7.

Pee Wee - you want me to mail ya a pie?

Stereos and Souffles said...

"slapabitch hot"
I'm still laughing!

Linda Medrano said...

I love this! Fall is so pretty and then whap! Everything dies!

Susan Fobes said...

I will be baking my second apple pie this weekend-fall means extra pounds too (UGH!)

Lin said...

Well, I think you did pretty good in your description. I can only think of individual words to describe fall: crisp, cool, sweaters (thank god!), blankies, bonfires, leaves, wooly worms, and harvest.

I do love fall, don't you?!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Stereos and Souffles - Sometimes there's just no other way to describe it.

Linda - It's a fleeting fave.

Susan - Yes indeed!

Lin - There is nothing better.

linlah said...

Apple pie, perfect comparison.

Catherine said...

I love fall in the North East too! Now I am craving some apple pie! Yum

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i hate apple pie

HA!

but i love fall

The Empress said...

This post makes me think of how much I'd like you in real life.

That is all.
xo

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Linlah - Thank you. I wish there was even a crumb of it left.

Catherine - If you hang around long enough, I'll probably bake another one.

SFTC - Are you crazy woman? Home made apple pie is more heavenly than chocolate. There. I said it.

Empress - You are even sweeter than apple pie.

Allyson said...

Can I say that it's only 11:30 and I just had a bowl of cheese and egg casserole, but all I can think about now is that FREAKING PIE?? And that wouldn't really be an issue except that I do have some fried apple pie popovers in the freezer. And I just got back on the Weight Watchers wagon this morning, starting with 3-point casserole. Fried apple pie popovers? No place for them in the point system. And yet...that's all I can think about.

One of the best things I did this year was come home to KY for the month of October while Neal was at Ft. McCoy. Georgia doesn't really experience fall...it's going to be 86 degrees here today. But in KY it was 70 and there were pumpkins, mums, and changing leaves galore. It was simply bliss and I think that no matter where we are stationed from here on out, I will come home to KY for the month of October. Fall is seriously just like an apple pie. Or an angora sweater. Or a supermodel. But not Tyra Banks. She's the summer bitch.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Allyson - Oh how I wish apple pie were the point equivalent to broccoli. That would be heaven. Except, if that were the case, I'd probably hate it, like I do broccoli.

Ann Imig said...

Slapabitch hot.

Hilarious.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Ann - The difference between me in summer and me in fall is like Attilla the Hun vs Mother Theresa.

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: