Tuesday, January 4, 2011

You've Got Questions - We've Got Answers

Thanks to everyone who submit a question  against my last post.  People pleaser that I am, here are my answers:



Hokgardner,

My favorite place that I have visited would undoubtedly be Italy,  My father and his wife have gone to Italy  six times.  As we sat around on Christmas reminiscing about the trip that we took together in August, I expressed my interest in going back and my dad's wife said,  "Now you understand why we've gone six times and are looking to go back again.  Italy is magic."  And she was exactly right.


StephanieC,
You asked many, many questions, for which I have many, many answers. Here goes:


1) Spike, while still muy, muy, caliente, is indeed a nutless wonder. I am a firm believer in responsible pet ownership, so as much as I would have loved to have dozens of little hotness monsters prowling my neighborhood, I neutered him when he was six months old.

2) My favorite smell would have to be the smell of a homemade apple pie cooking in the oven. The delicious combination of cinnamon and baking apples reminds me of every family get together or holiday from my childhood.


3) The worst thing ever said to me at work was said by a coworker when I let out a somewhat forceful sneeze.  He stood up at his desk, turned around toward me and screamed at the top of his lungs "Make us all deaf, why don't you?"  I know that my sneezes would not fall under the description of "delicate", but his reaction was obviously the result of his narcotic drug use and general low IQ.


Rachel,

I currently have shades of brown, green and blue flowing harmoniously from my living room through to my kitchen.  The key to managing that flow of colors from room to room is to pick and use secondary colors.  For example, if your living room is open to your entrance hall, use the secondary (accent) color in your LR  fabrics and accessories in the LR to paint the entrance way.  This ensures a harmonious flow from one living space to the next.

What? You were expecting a smart-ass answer maybe? Sorry. This shiz is serious. 


LPR -
I hate to be repetitive, but my most memorable event from last year was my trip to Italy.  As a woman of (ahem) advancing years who had never traveled any further out of the USA than Aruba, I was completely unprepared for the beauty of the architecture, the landscape, the people and the food. 

When we first pulled in to Florence, we came in on the opposite side of the river from the city.  We were having difficulty finding our hotel, so we pulled into what looked like a huge parking lot.  What it really was was the Piazza Michelangelo, which is a monument to the artist and a scenic overlook to the city of Florence.  One look at that breathtakingly beautiful city and I felt my breath catch in my chest as I literally went weak in the knees.  It was an unforgettable moment.

My most memorable non-event would have to be the break up of my son's band.  Big whoop, right?  But I had grown very used to having a den full of teenagers every weekend and even more used to knowing that my so was doing something productive, creative and (most importantly) that I knew where he was.  I didn't realize how sad it would make me not to have that activity until it was gone.  The good news is that he has two new bands and, while he is taking both of them far less seriously than the prior band, my house is once again filled with music and jokes about genitals (they're 14 year old boys, I expect nothing less).
       
(Sigh)

Kat, 

Does Spike always come back?  Although he gets by on his good looks much of the time, Spike is smart enough to know when he's got a good thing.   He knows that for every time that he goes out to do his business, that he gets to come back in.  Each re-entry makes him eligible to have his food dish refilled.  It takes nothing more than a quick brush against our legs for us to merrily fill his food bowl again.  I guess that's what it's like when Megan Fox goes to a bar.  One brush past an empty headed dude and her glass is refilled.


Bossy Betty,

Here's the 411 on Spike -  My mother is a crazy cat lady.  When I got married, she went bonkers with some kind of empty nest syndrome and started feeding all the cats in the neighborhood.  Those that she could get close enough to pet and pick up, ended up in the house as spayed/neutered house cats.  Those who were skittish, remained feral and had litter upon litter of kittens under her shed.  

One day my son was playing in her backyard. He was just shy of three years old. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, this little gray and black stripped kitten ambles up to him, all friendly-like and got right in the middle of what he was playing with.   My son knew that the cats in grandma's yard were afraid of people, so he was surprised and delighted by his new found friend. 

My mother watched the entire thing in complete disbelief.  As soon as they came in for lunch, she immediately called me at work to tell me that my little guy had made friends with a feral kitten. How could we not keep him?  In a way, Spike chose my son.  My son bestowed the name Spike upon the little fella, after the dog from Rugrats. 

To this day, Spike comes running at the sound of my son's voice, sleeps on his bed and generally looks hot for him.  He's a great cat.  I hope he lives forever.

Kimberly,

Wow, that's quite a story.  I think that if you network and start reading and commenting on blogs that you used to visit (just like you did on this one) you can rebuild.  I'll be back.  And those that read my blog that remember you will likely come back too.  I linked your name back to your site.  Everyone! Go visit Kimberly!


Linda Medrano,

Here's the story behind the name of my blog  -  I initially created this blog so that I could chronicle and share the trials and tribulations of a bathroom remodel that we were doing with family and friends.  It was never intended to be something that I would make regular contributions to, but that's how it ended up.  Once I started writing, I couldn't stop. It was just too much fun and I was meeting too many cool people (like you) to stop.


Empress,

Oh, you want another music video?  OK, being that the last music video came from my trip to Italy, I thought this one was apropos:





Insanitykim,

1) Do you think I should start a blog that chronicles my response e-mails to all the spam I get, namely the ones that offer me $5,000,000,000.00 from an uncle/friend/dying person I never met? - YES! I think that's brilliant and you will never run out of material.


2) Do you say Long Island or LonGiland?  Multi-part answer:

Zero Cosmos - Long Island
1 - 5 Cosmos - Lawnguyliind
6+ Cosmos - hmammnmnerglefft (drool)
3) No, I am not afraid that my family tree has ties to the Sicilian Mob because, hello? Awesome! Imagine the designer shoes and bags I could score for nuthin.

Lin,

Stories about the kids?  Strangely, I never seem to run out.  What is that about anyway?
Well, what would Christmas be if we did not terrorize our families? Right? This year’s Christmas break saw my two little darlings locked in a battle of Facebook hackery, where they each tried to outdo each other by posting the most embarrassing/unflattering picture of the other. Needless to say, much fighting, yelling and general hilarity ensued. I’ll tell you this, I was so thrilled for the first day back to school that I found religions, yes, I said "religions".  As in ALL OF THEM.   And I offered praise and thanks to the collective deities of the world, for sending my children back to school.

Here's a random picture of Brownie, lookin all cute:


Mom of the Perpetually Grounded,
 
Am I ready for another bathroom?  Hell to the mothereffin NO.  Do I "need" to redo another one?  Sadly, yes.  And a powder room.  Collective deities of the universe, give me strength.

SurferWife,

1) Hey, I hate to go all "traditional" on you, but the standard answer to this is the best -

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood a a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Maybe a better version of that question is "How much tree would Woody Harrelson smoke if Woody Harrelson could  smoke tree? Now that's much more quantifiable.

2) My choice between unwashed bedsheets or bath towel?  I would tie the two together and escape out the window of the filthy house that has no washing machine.

3) If I were in a band, I would call it the Dee Grundy and the Electric Toilet.  That's not really my name, but it fits with the toilet, in some unexplainable way.

16 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Rachel said...

Yo, ho! Thanks!

The Empress said...

Did you just hear the heavens open up?

Do you know how I love my music?

Do you know how you just made my day?

Yes, to all of the above.

You are all that, sister...alllll that.

Thank you for rocking my world this morning.

foxy said...

All great answers! You make me want to go to Italy. BAD.

Linda Medrano said...

Thank you for the answer to my question. I like the other answers too. Your experience in Italy reminds me of mine in Paris. I fell madly deeply insanely in love with the place. It's where I should have lived my life. And I plan to live there if I come back. I think cats do choose people. Dogs too. Now I need a trip to Italy!

Amy said...

I am in complete disbelief of what a DOUCHE your coworker is! Wait!! Is that hotcuppacrazy?? Seriously, I may have cried if someone called me out like that in front of everyone..

...but I'd like to think I'd have kicked him in the balls;)

Love the story of how Spike joined your family! So great!

Finally, your kids' FB war has me in tears. While I see that playing referee to this madness does indeed sound daunting, however I would have loved to have watched from a distance while enjoying a nice glass of red. That's just good entertainment DG;)

StephanieC said...

Nice!

I thoroughly enjoyed all of your answers, but mostly all the deets on Spike.

I can only assume based on your answers that you are already half-way in planning your future retirement in Italy!

I need to go clean the house, in quick-time because company will be here soon... but I rather like your idea of tying my dirty bedsheets and towels together to escape this hell hole altogether!!

Sara said...

A) Outstanding band name.

B) Who wants to sneeze like a lady? The point of a sneeze is to get something that in your face OUT of your face. And if you're sneezing like a little girl with blonde ringlets, it will not do the trick.

Plus, is there anything better than a really good sneeze?

blueviolet said...

I didn't know that about your blog name origin. It's funny how we don't really think about a future when we start!

SurferWife said...

I NEED to go to Italy. So very bad. *sigh*

I love the band name. Maybe we can tour together sometime? Your band name goes well with my Hot Dog in a Hula Hoop.

Insanitykim said...

Suddenly all my life questions are answered, thank you, oh Mad One! :)

If I start that blog, I'll let you know ASAP.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Rachel, Empress,Foxy, Linda, Stephanie C, Surfer Wife, Lin, Insanity Kim - Thank you all for your questions. I had lots of fun answering them.

Sara - You had a late breaking question. Here's my answer: Yes I do. But sadly, I disregard the societal rules that prevent me from using that expression at will.

Amy - Bingo!


Blue Violet - Yes, I rarely think ahead.

Lin said...

Ahhhh, my day is made! Nuthin' like a Brownie photo AND a Spike photo all in one week. Add that the kids went back to school and it is heaven. Except that my college kid is still home and he leaves in a week which makes me really sad and I'm taking off work to just hang out with him. I love your FB dueling nuts!

linlah said...

If you redo the bathroom(s) will you rename the blog Diary of Many Mad Bathrooms?

Susan Fobes said...

I just popped in for a quick visit and I'm glad I did-LOL!

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

HA HA! I know exactly how you feel!

Kimberly said...

Thank you darling for the link. Love all the Q's and A's!

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: