Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Ahead Can Bite Me

How about this for a dorktastic graphic?  Thanks Climateprogress.org.


As I dragged my sorry ass out of bed this morning I was hit with a crushing sense of doom.  It wasn't, was it?   It couldn't possibly be THAT DAY?  Could it?  The day where an evil little troll king steals an hour of precious time from me and makes the Monday workday arrive one hour sooner?  But it was - Daylight Savings Time.

As I floated arount the blogosphere, anxious to find another person who dreads this day like I do, all I could find were people who were nattering on about how there would be more sunshine and it would stay light longer.  Geez, what a bunch of happy horseshit! We're one hour closer to work here people! Don't you feel it?  One hour closer to getting the hairy eyeball from my batshit crazy coworker.  One hour closer to having to attend a meeting that I would prefer dental surgery over.   One hour closer to some halfwit in the cafeteria making me a chicken sandwich and trying to grab a bun for the sandwich without changing his raw chicken juice covered gloves.   

Why am I the only person that feels utterly robbed and on this day?   I can tell you this much, along with the ever nearing work day, "Spring Ahead" day is like firing the starting pistol for another opressively humid Long Island summer. We will have maybe 20 days of gorgeous spring weather and then Mother Nature will abruptly rip the rug out from under our feet and go into full-on menopause, svitzing like a crackhead on COPS. She will pour on the heat and humidity in short order. The kind of heat and humidity where you break a sweat walking from the shower to the sink and feel like you have to shower again.  It makes me bitter.  It makes me cranky.  It makes me somewhat difficult to live with (impossible to believe, I know) .

So now it begins - the longest countdown of the year - the countdown to my favorite day of the year - Fall back.  Anybody have a time machine they can lend me?  My family would so SOOOO grateful if you did.

11 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

hokgardner said...

I hate the day, too. But more because of what it does to my kids' sleep schedule. It will take me weeks to get them back on track. At least we have spring break this week to help us adjust.

The Empress said...

Oh, sing it, sister.

I AM SO bitchy right now b/c it's actually almost 11.

Hate it, too.

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

I'm getting my band aids out cause it can bite me too! The endless hot flash is on it's way and like you I'm setting my clock for Fall Back. I'll get out of bed then.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm with ya, sister-friend! And I'd help start a rebellion but I'm afraid the powers that be would steal "Fall back" in retribution!

Susan Fobes said...

I am with you on this one today-I feel like a mac truck hit me this morning, so I did what any decent person would do-I went back to bed! Thanks for the laugh with this :0

Linda Medrano said...

Oh I feel your pain, but I'm opposite. (Of course living in Northern California, we get no real summer, just a prolonged spring most of the year.) Still fall, the hours of darkness depress the shit out of me. Spring always makes me feel renewed. And I do love the longer daylight hours.

400 Wakeups said...

It's possible that you're the only person I know who hates springing forward. Maybe you should be a vampire...all loving the dark and sleeping and whatnot. I do know what you're saying about the weather, though. KY does the same thing. One day it's snowing and approximately a week later it's 95 degrees with 95% humidity with spring in between. However, in GA, we've had spring temps for about a month. Today it's going to be 75, albeit with a little bit of rain. By May it will be outrageously hot...but I'll take 75..even with rain. I guess it's time for you to go into hibernation and come out again in October. ;)

linlah said...

I understand all your reasonings I would much prefer to not spring forward or fall back.

Amy said...

I don't know how...but you have captured my sentiments about this god forsaken week
P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y!

Not only have I not slept thru the night..but Mike and Jackson haven't either. WTF?? I don't know what the hell is going on here but that douchebag DST seemed to have snagged more than an hour from our lives!

And summer!!!! OMG. I will be 9 months pregnant in August. AUGUST!!!! I could very possibly just spontaneously combust in an instant. UGH.

Sarah Lindahl said...

I am waiting with baited breath for the hot and humid days of summer. I LOVE them. I thrive when I'm sweating.

LiBBy said...

It's worse than jet lag. Yeah. Spring ahead. Fall back. I say fu@k off.

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: