Sunday, April 10, 2011

Being a Mature and Responsible Parent Bites Monkey Weiner

There are certain things that I try not to do with this blog that are against the spirit of its existence.  Things such as taking down a post.  As a writer of an anonymous blog, there are certain freedoms of expression that I enjoy.  But I recently broke down and pulled a post, which has left me feeling like a complete tool.

My husband almost never mentions my blog to me.  I think this is probably because he almost never reads it.  However, my last post, about a ridiculous school function run by the skanktastic sea hags of the PTA must have caught his eye.

According to him, I had provided quite a lot of specifically identifying detail.  So much so, that anyone casually googling about the event, would clearly recognize those that I railed against and possibly my daughter, which is something that I would never want to do.  The last thing in the world that I would want is for my smart mouth to be my kid's downfall.   I have spent the last  14 years with my barbed tongue rolled back in my head in the presence of doctors, teachers and other children's parents, as a means of keeping the peace for my kids.   This blog has served as a preventative measure to get the comments that I would like to make exorcised before they get vomited out the front door like a pea green sea of jagged insult. Of course, being able to spew my thoughts directly to the offending parties  might make me feel better, but ultimately my kids would bear the burden of my words. 

When I told the hubs that I took the post down he said "You didn't have to do that, you could have just changed it."  I suppose I could have, but then I would break another rule that I have, which is to expose the funny of the situation  by exposing the truth of it.  When I write that my daughter changed my husband's Aim status message (for work, no less) to "I can't chat now, I'm busy shaving my toes.", it's funny because it's true.  I might change or omit names to protect the guilty, but that's as far as I will go in manipulating a story.

So here I sit, conflicted that I took down a story with a great deal of humorous truth to it. It seems a waste to have to pull back comments like  "The problem with our PTA is that it seems to attract a very specific type of woman and this type of woman is not my favorite. In fact, I think it's fair to say that if this type of woman were a man, I'd punch her in the junk.".  Truth.

13 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

The Empress said...

I tried to find your post from yesterday, but you must have taken it down right away.

I did that once before, and took it down, a post on my teenage son, after the first 2 comments said, "he's a brat."

No, thank you.

I get it.

The Empress said...

I, vote for the post to be put back up.

You have an anonymous blog.

Hoping and crossing fingers, eyes, toes, legs...that you put this bit of relatability back on the internetz for those of us who agree.

I hate our PTA peeps.
HATE.

Susan Fobes said...

I redid a post that my husband said revealed too much. Since I use my real name, everyone would know to whom I was referring (even though my blog has not been broadcast to family members.) There's a fine line I guess, and you ultimately have to decide where that is. You have nothing to feel guilty about, especially when it involves protecting your kids!

linlah said...

I'm shedding some tears right now because I cannot believe I missed on of your PTA posts. I love those posts they make my heart happy.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Empress - I can e-mail it to you for a private viewing.

Susan - Yup, if not for my daughter, I'd let it rip.

Linlah - I would e-mail it to you, but I don't have your e-mail address.

sarah said...

i think in support of you putting it back up, we could all write a post about our PTA's and then it would make it even more difficult for someone to "stumble" upon yours... :) Because in general PTA's suck and they pretty much all have "That" kind of woman in them.

Linda Medrano said...

I have made a couple of changes to my articles when I had a complaint from my grandson about something I wrote about him. He thought it was too personal, and although I didn't agree, I took it out. Still, I don't want to have to edit what I say. The only caveat is that I don't ever want to actually hurt someone with what I write. PTA bitches suck.

Lin said...

Crud. I want to read it now. I hated the PTA, the women there were just horrid and bossy. I went and did things for the school on my own and it drove them NUTS--to the point of them confronting me.

I made the mistake of telling one of them that I noticed that most of those women in charge of the PTA were divorced and I never wanted to be one of them. Oh my, they ate me up. They went around talking about me and how nuts I was for saying that.....except they all ended up getting divorced. Not so funny after all, eh?

It's hard with kids and family to keep it private, but I think you do a good job of it.

blueviolet said...

Well now you have the best of both worlds. You removed the potential link-up evidence, and left one heck of a funny statement from the post right here!

~Wendie said...

OK! 2 things - You were my #100 THANK YOU!! Would you please write a guest post for me?? I LOVE your blog, sarcasm and honesty!
Also, I am not a PTA hag. I am, however, going to a chinese auction/dinner dance on thursday night and have to make nice with these people. I KNOW that i am anonymous around here, so, I should have an interesting post on Friday!! I'd like to read the post if you can email it to me - I'd like to compare notes tomorrow night!!
~Wendie
www.thoughtsfromthismom.blogspot.com

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

What a shame. But I completely get it too. Sometimes I have to bite my fingers to hold back.

Sara said...

Well, sonofabitch.

The one place you think you can be honest and open and uncensored because you're anonymous, for crap's sake.

This just made me think of that song "Harper Valley PTA."

And now it's in my head. Well, it finally replaced Katy Perry's "Extra Terrestrial" so I guess that's something.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Yes, yes, ladies. I ran away with my tail between my legs, but I'm ok with it. Every now and then you have to do the right thing or your appendages fall off, or something.

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: