Friday, April 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Spike!

As I sit here on the couch, about to begin writing my Friday morning blog posting, I am distracted by a strange wheezing noise.  Looking to my right, I see that it is merely Spike, the Hotness Monster asleep on the ottoman and snoring, I guess.   My husband has always said that Spike has a strange wheeze, but until now, I had never heard it.   As a matter of fact, I hardly ever see him sleeping as he prefers to sleep behind either the armoire or the overstuffed chair in the living room.  But today he is as loud and proud as a twelve year old cat can be.

Spike joined our family around the same time as my daughter did.  As a matter of fact, while I was in the hospital,  laboring and threatening the lives of the medical staff that did not yank the bastard anesthesiologist off the golf course, stat, my son was hanging out at his grandma's house, coaxing this little grey stripped kitty out from under the shed.

From the beginning, this little cat was drawn to people and carried his tail high and proud.  Nobody was going to get in the way of what he wanted and it was clear, that he wanted to be part of our family.  So twelve years ago, I got my epidural and said yes to the cat.  After getting the epidural, I would have said yes to adopting six chickens and a llama.  Thank god they were only asking for a cat.

Spike turned out to be an ideal cat in every way and as you can tell from my Avatar, there were no cat/dog issues when we brought Brownie the Wonderdog into the house.  The nuzzling and chaste, neutered love between them is both sweet and freaky and an endless source of entertainment for us.

So, around this time every year, we celebrate Spike and his approximate birthday/adoption day.  He is one of a kind and I am so glad that he chose us.

Here's a little photo tribute:







12 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

hokgardner said...

Does this mean it's your daughter's birthday, too?

Happy Birthday to them both.

Bossy Betty said...

What a great and noble cat and a great story of your son finding him!!

Katie said...

We have 3 cats in our house. One is a 14 year old part Siamese who squawks instead of meowing and who also snores quite loudly. I swear he cusses at me when I'm late with his food in the morning! We love kitties in our house and Spike looks like a great family pet!

The Empress said...

He doesn't look a day over 11.

Susan Fobes said...

I love cats-maybe it's because they do "choose" you and not the other way around.

Lin said...

Damn, he is HOT! I love Spike. I think you should do more posts featuring Spike. Hell, I think there should be Spike t-shirts and coffee mugs.

Happy Birthday, you hot thing, Spikeroo. I wish I was there to smooch ya!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

HokGardener - It is indeed. Thank you!

Bossy Betty - Thank you. He is a gem.

Katie - Sounds like you know what it's like to live in a kitty kingdom. They are the boss in every way.

Empress - He has aged like a fine wine.

Susan Fobes - Yes indeed. They have a definite mind of their own.

Lin - How about the Spike and Hobbes network? I'm seeing book deals, a talk show (like Oprah for cats) and of course a pet food line...

Linda Medrano said...

I have a black tabby! I love Spike's stripes! He's one cool cat. We took Smoke in yesterday for his annual check up. He's 15 and weighs 16 pounds. He's a fat cat. Spike looks more trim and in shape! (Spike plays with the Wonderdog. My Wonderdogs want to eat Smokey.)

linlah said...

Why does Spike always look stoned. Maybe that accounts for his wheeze.

MiMi said...

15?! What an old man kitty! :) Happy bday Spike!

400 Wakeups said...

Happy Belated Birthday Spike!!
It looks like you have complete rule of the roost..exactly as it should be. We've trained our owner equally well. Many more to you! You don't look a day over 2.
Poppy and Lulu (prowd owners of Ally)

blueviolet said...

What a cutie pie. So glad Spike has been such a great family member!

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: