Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Please Visit 400 Wake Ups Today

Those of you that have been here before know that I am all about nonsense and keeping it light, but I read a post today that really spoke to me and I wanted to pass it on.   Allyson over at 400 Wake Ups is the wife of a US Soldier stationed in Iraq.  By reading Allyson's blog over the past few months, I have learned a great deal about army life and about the seemingly constant sacrifices that soldiers and their families make every single day.

Today's post was about the war wounds that are not visible to the naked eye and how mental health issues, such as PTSD are not dealt with in the same way as physical wounds.  While I do not relate to this from the perspective of someone that has friends or family in the armed forces, I do relate to it on a broader level, as my family has been impacted by mental illness and I have similar feelings about the importance of seeking help and eliminating the shame associated with these issues.

So for this post, I will be serious and encourage you to go pay a visit to Allyson and learn a little bit about the impact of PTSD on folks in the armed services.  Don't worry, the seriousness won't last long.  My next post could be an audio clip of me burping the National Anthem.  Not classy, but certainly in character.  Now git!

8 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

400 Wakeups said...

Thank you so much for linking back!! PTSD has been around for as long as wars have been fought, but is JUST NOW being recognized and treated effectively. Can you believe this is only the second year that we have had a National PTSD Awareness Day?? It's time to drop the veil of shame and seriously talk about it. Because not doing so has serious consequences. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Lin said...

Good topic--even if it is a serious one. Sometimes we have to be serious, you know?
........................
Okay, now I'm ready for the burp tunes.

The Empress said...

I learned so much from this topic, when my son did a high school paper on it.

Also, I heard about how these soldiers come back from my niece, who has stories heard about others.

She and her husband have been without PTSD, thank God, but both being in the air force..they have first hand accounts.

THank you for this.

Katie said...

Great and thoughtful post! Most people don't recognize military families near as much as we should. And we especially don't like to talk about or acknowledge the hidden pains that they live with, such as PTSD.

Heading over to 400 Wakeups now!

Susan Fobes said...

I was surprised by your post topic today, but I learned something after reading about PTSD...

Linda Medrano said...

My husband is just retired (25 years) from the Air Force. He's done two tours of duty in the Middle East and I know he's very concerned over the soldiers who have PTSD. This is a very serious issue and it needs to be addressed and understood.

Amy said...

Heading there now...thanks for the heads up!

blueviolet said...

I absolutely adore her and I'm on my way!

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: