Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Conversation With Myself

This is a conversation that takes place inside a middle aged woman's head.  In this conversation, she is both antagonist and protagonist as she is arguing with different aspects of herself.  

16 Year Old Self:  OMG, look at these adorable 8 week old puppies that they have at the adoption center.  They are hound mixes, rescued from a high kill shelter in Georgia.  They are so cute and they need a good home.  You know, Brownie is really slowing down, she needs a pup to play with.

Late 40's Self:  The last time we spoke about this we agreed that there is already too much chaos in the house with all the friends in and out, the kid's crazy schedules, school, work, band practice.  Besides, we already have a dog and a cat that could use more of your attention.

16 Year Old Self:  I know, but just look at their little faces and their soulful eyes.  They will be sad if they don't get adopted.

Late 40's Self: DG, there are plenty of people out there that would love to adopt those puppies. I guarantee you they will all be gone by Memorial Day.

16 Year Old Self:  Can we at least go and visit them?  The ad says that families are welcome to come down and play with them, with no obligation to adopt.  I promise, I won't harass you to get one,  I just want to hold a couple.

Late 40's Self:  Ok, I will take you. But i'm telling you, we are not getting another dog!   And I don't want any trouble or whining from you when it's time to leave.

16 Year Old Self:  Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you!  I promise, I won't try to change your mind.  I just want to hold them.

Late 40's Self:  You're damn right you're not changing my mind.  Ok, let's go.

Interior of a suburban pet adoption center.  The antagonist and protagonist are leaning over a gated corral of puppies.  There are eight of them and they are climbing over each other to get the attention of their visitors.  The women reach down into the cage and pull out an adorable floppy eared pup who promptly nestles his head on the woman's shoulder and immediately falls into a contented sleep.

Late 40's Self:  (to woman behind the counter at adoption center)   Do you take debit cards?


Meet Buzz the Magnificent:







7 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Lin said...

I knew it was coming. Puppies and kittens win over 40-somethings ALL the time!!

Welcome Buzz!!

hokgardner said...

Dying of the cuteness.

Grace said...

Irresistible!

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Lin - I am so freakin' weak. I just suck at resisting a good cocktail, a cute dog or a choice piece of steak.

Hokgardener - Me too. Every day.

Grace - Yup. That's how I got into this mess. I'm really lucky I didn't come home with a kitten and three other puppies. They were pretty irresistable too...

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

My any age self: OMG that's the cutest thing in the world and I can smell the puppy smell through the computer : ) Don't blame you a bit. I've been suffering from empty kitten nest syndrome lately.

The Empress said...

Oh what a cute dog. is is a beagle mix?

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

MOTPG - Yup. STRONG puppy aroma. Full of the cute!

Empress - Well...it's hound mix and the mix might possibly be Great Dane. Thinking of having him DNA tested so that we can prepare for a possible giant.

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: