Sunday, May 12, 2013

Biga the Mother Sponge

I got up at the ass crack of dawn today.  Not because I wanted to, I just woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.  Maybe it was excitement over what was growing in my kitchen.  I was growing a sponge.

A sponge is a starter that is used in bread baking.  The Italians call it a biga, which, of course is much nicer than sponge because everything sounds better in Italian.   Interestingly enough, it is also called a mother sponge.  This got me thinking about how much bread baking and motherhood have in common.

Baking bread requires time and care, kneading and shaping, rising and proofing.  There are a lot of steps and it is definitely a learn as you go process.  With a little luck and a lot of tending to, you will end up with something wonderful that was worth all the labor and sweat.

I have never fancied myself a particularly skillful baker when it came to yeast doughs nor a very traditional mother when it came to child rearing.  Yet, as my loaves proof and my kids grow, I have found that I am happy with the results that I am getting.  I guess everything gets better with practice and while I might have given more thought to my failures, upon reflection, there are many successes to celebrate.

I hope all of you take the time today to appreciate what the fruits of your labor and to honor your moms.  May your little honey buns treat you well.

XO -Diary

P.S. If you are interested in a pretty easy and reliable Semolina Bread Recipe (per the pics below), go here:
http://food.eagletribune.com/recipe-video/Homemade-Semolina-Bread.html

The Mother Sponge

The Dough Ball (pre-rise)
 First Rise
 Shaped Loaf After the Second Rise
All things considered, a pretty respectable result


10 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Anonymous said...

So, a firm should ensure that they are not as famous as they are always close to
the top of the SERP s. By the time search engine reached No.
Some search engine companies that are promising you
the top spot, you can see, search engine is a great thing and everyone should at least learn a
bit about Google and links. Consulting friends, relatives, family members and
people will be eager to hear it.

My homepage :: seo page

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Hey anonymous,

I like when you say that turn over skilly in that wok. Try think very important.
Here's my website: eatabagofdicks.com

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

Snort...other than that...I feel more successful with my kids than any attempt to bake. And that is Really saying something about my cooking skills : )Hope you got the Royal Treatment!

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Grounded mom,

Thanks! You too!

Anonymous said...

The pace from the treadmill ranges from fifty percent a mile for each hour
to eleven miles for each hour plus the inclination
ranges from in between zero and twelve degrees.

Also visit my page weights and dumbbells for sale

Lin said...

Oh my god--what is with you and spam???! Jeezus...score some filters will ya....I can't laugh any harder at your replies, DG.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Lin- Spam filter? What and spoil all my fun?

Hey anonymous, when you get off that treadmill there is a great summer camp that I think you will like. Try this link - Http://Loservilleforspambotswithtinypenisesthatneedahobby.com

Anonymous said...

You will be sitting down the entire time you are functioning out so
there is certainly no pressure on your own knees and ankles despite just how
much additional excess weight you might be carrying.

Feel free to visit my weblog :: Personal Site

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Hi anonymous, so good to see you again! Hey, have you ever considered pooping into a flowerpot and wearing it as a hat? Ok. See ya!

The Empress said...

As I get older, mothers and what they do and what they are capable of, and the ones that some of us are lucky enough to have, means so much more.

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: