Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What Happens When Your Adorable Puppy Grows into Marmaduke?

"Boo boo goo goo doo doo tee tee boo boo" .  This is what I can hear through the wall of the office, coming from the bedroom next door. It's being said in a high pitched chirp and the best I can tell, there is some snuggle-wuggle, belly rubbing and cuddling going on.  It's none of my business, except that the high pitched chirper is my husband.  He of deep, booming basso profundo voice and abundant body hair is talking baby talk...to another male...

This guy.


Two weeks ago we came back from Vegas and before our mental faculties had returned to us, we adopted this little fella.  When we saw him on the animal rescue website, he and his 10 other siblings were listed as  "hound mixes".  They had sweet faces and even sweeter personalities and it was very hard to pick just one from the litter.  Thankfully we did not come away with the entire family.

Since bringing him home, we have determined that Buzz the Magnificent has the ability to grow, noticeably, overnight.  Every day his body gets larger, his legs get longer and his beagle-y little head stays the same.  Right now, he's at an awkward stage where the disproportion between his head and body makes it look like a grape on horseback. Hopefully his noggin will catch up with his body at some point.  More important than his ungainliness is the fact that it is becoming more and more clear every day that our little fella is a hound mixed with Great Dane.

So as we watch and wait for the end of what could be a two year growth spurt, we are considering having him DNA tested.   I love surprises as much as the next guy, but if I brought home Marmaduke, I'd like to know before he ingests a china cabinet.  Call me crazy, but I like to be prepared.  It takes a lot of time and effort to wrap an entire house and its contents in stainless steel.  It would be really great if I could get a jump on it before I can saddle him and ride him to the grocery store.

In the mean time, he is keeping Brownie the Wonderdog on her toes.  Her exceptional patience with this rough and tumble new addition has been rewarded with extra hugs and an occasional hunk of cheese.  

We haven't introduced him to Spike the Hotness Monster as of yet as Spike is a gadabout and a champion mouser, so he could be carrying a social disease or two.  Once the Buzzer has all his shots, we will introduce  the two of them.  It will likely be a civilized meeting over cocktails and cigars.  Spike wouldn't stand for it any other way.  I'll report on that cross cultural summit at some time in July.

Until then, here are some pictures so that we can remember what Buzz was like before he got big enough to run the Preakness.

Long Legs/Tiny Head

Playing Lion Tamer with Brownie


Giving Face







8 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Lin said...

Is Brownie trying to eat him? Criminy. I hate it when the pets try to eat each other. That's hard to explain to the kids.

Yeah, look out for humongous paws and ears....them is the true sign that you've got a behemoth on your hands. He sure is cute though.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Lin - Brownie and Buzz play lots of games together. That one is called "lion tamer" and it involves Buzz inserting his head all the way into Brownie's mouth, just shy of the uvula, I suppose. Wait, do dogs have a uvula? All I know is that it's a miracle she does not vomit. Other games include "Chicken Leg" and "guarding the rubber chicken". That last one is not so much a game as it is a clear message for Buzz to keep his puppy teeth off said chicken.

Lin said...

oh, that's sorta like Disney entertainment--animals doing wacky stuff. I like that Lion Tamer thing. Do you serve dinner while they do that? Because I would pay for that.

My Inner Chick said...

he is GORGEOUS. I love that first photo.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Lin - Not a bad idea. I am in the process of saving for college...

My inner Chick - Thanks. He does hypnotize us with a haze of cuteness that makes us forget about what he just chewed.

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

Hey Honey, look up Swiss Mountain Dog. I have one. He is three years old and weighs 145 lbs. We call him 'the pony.' But he's the best dog we ever had. I have a feeling that's what your little fella has in him. If so it's totally worth the 30 lb. bags of dog food : )

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

MOTPG - Wow, there is a strong resemblance. Now I have to learn more about the breed. They certainly are beautiful dogs.

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

They are awesome and Buzz is beautiful!

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: