Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Where Have All the Bloggers Gone?

I was going through my Blogroll this morning and I realized that it has become something of a memorial to former bloggers.  I myself was part of that list of dead soldiers, when I took a break from blogging back in the beginning of 2012.  I have since come back to a town that feels deserted.  Part of the reason for that might be the fact that about 80% of the blogs I read and that occasionally read me, are gone.  In many cases, these bloggers haven't posted in the last 2-4 years.  It's kind of sad.

There is no judgement in this commentary.  I understand as well or maybe better than most that there are times in your life when the thought of getting on and reading and writing blog posts seems like a daunting and obligatory chore, or where life has become too busy/ overwhelming/difficult to channel your thoughts into a post that wouldn't make your readers want to jump off a bridge. Believe me, I get it.

So now I am faced with a decision around how I proceed with my own blog.   For the most part, my blog community is more deserted than a first run Paulie Shore movie and as I shuffle through the ashes of a bloggy nuclear winter, I am forced to think about how I can build a new community.  I am also considering the fact that maybe I am my blogging community.  In many ways, I write for myself.  Not meaning to sound selfish, but sometimes writing feels like an itch that needs to be scratched and the process of getting it out is satisfaction enough.  Do I enjoy it when people read it and comment?  Absolutely.  There is no better feeling than the feeling that you started a dialogue about something, even if it is around the most trivial of topics.  But even when the readers are meager, I still write.

The net message to myself I suppose, is write on.  Write like no one's reading.  Write without a filter.  Write like a woman with an elderly cat that is too hip for the room and needs someone to extol his virtues while he still walks this earth.  It doesn't have to be scintillating material, it just needs to satisfy my biggest reader - me.  And maybe if I build the blog, they will come...And maybe they won't...And that's OK.








8 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Lin said...

Join the club....well...a club that has two members--you and me. My blogroll is covered with cobwebs and dust too...and Blogger won't let me delete them. Sigh. So there I sit...looking at that long list of dead blogs--some literally---as the owners are really (honestly) dead.

I write for me. I do have a good group of pallies that I still "hang" with, so I don't feel too alone. I'd still like to find some cool new blogs--like yours--to start following. I'm up to here with cat blogs (Sorry, Spike)--I need something that is a good read without too much fluff or too much effort. I have a few if you want me to send you some of my favs of late. Be forewarned--not many folks write every day anymore. But that's okay if the quality is good.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Lin - I am glad that you are still there. One of the few, the proud, the original bloggers.If you have some good reads, send them my way. I spent some time looking for new ones yesterday and the landscape was bleak.

Alexandra said...

I know, sometimes, I have no idea what drives me, I'll go back to my first posts, and see the commenters there, and I'll click on their names and that takes me to a long ago abandoned site. Stopped, mid month, with no indication of ever returning. i wonder, burn out? no return on investment? were they hoping they'd be making money by now? did they one day stop and then, never got the nerve to start back up? It's kind of sad, all these people, and gone. I'm glad you're back. You were one of my first thrills, one of my first guest posts when you were looking for teen posts in the summer and I filled your inbox so fast you laughed and how quick my response time was. You thrilled me and made me feel proud, and thank you for that. xo I still remember. It's good to see you. xo

Alexandra said...

I have some suggestions, for great writing, that doesn't cost you brain cells and just makes you feel connected and part of something: www.annsrants.com www.marinkanyc.com www.midlifemixtape.com www.finslippy.com www.mamakatslosinit.com www.thesuniverse.com www,mannahattamama.com I love my blogroll.

Mom of the Perpetually Grounded said...

I'm there too. I don't feel bad that I have 6 commenters out of 190 followers because I think 150 of them no longer exist. There's you and Alexandra and a couple others left from the beginning that I'm SO glad are still around. I don't have the energy to keep seeking out so I agree, write because You need it. And also because I love to pop in and look around and am so pleased that you still visit me! xo

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Alexandra - I am so happy that you are still around. Thank you for the reading list. I'll take a look.

MOTPG - Yes, we are a small but solid list of "OG" bloggers. If it never grows appreciably, I think I will be OK with it.

hokgardner said...

I will keep reading.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

HOKGardener - You have always been there and I thank you for that.

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: