Friday, May 23, 2014

Milestones A-plenty

Milestone is an ugly word to me.  Not because I don't appreciate the key events in life that are significant enough to be considered milestones, but rather the fact that I work on projects in my professional life and milestones are the goal posts of my work.  Given that analogy, I would very often like to kick something through them or better yet, kick the people that prevent me from getting to them on time.

This time of the year is a big deal in terms of personal milestones.  The stretch of time from April through June sees all of our birthdays, my wedding anniversary, mother's day and father's day.  If the Hampton's "season" kicks off on Memorial Day, our family "season" starts April 1st and goes through June with barely a pause.  Dress me in white and call me Diddy.

This year, the month of June takes on additional significance because the milestones that we are celebrating are on steroids.  So roided out in fact, that if they were an athlete, they'd look like this:

Photo Cred: cracked.com
This June will see the following major events:

  • An 18th birthday
  • A High School graduation
  • A 50th Birthday 
  • Senior Prom
  • Senior Wences (Just kidding.  Making sure you were still paying attention after that somewhat distracting picture above.)

One of those events is mine, but I am not going to tell you which one because I am a little embarrassed that it took me this many years to pass gym.

I know that there are people who think that there is some kind of shame involved in turning 50.  I couldn't agree less. The fact of the matter is, I've never felt better, loved life more or had a more adventurous spirit. I find the question of "How do you feel about turning 50?" to be ageist and sexist coming from certain people.  I know that their agenda is that they expect me to be filled with self-loathing over the prospect of getting older.  Sadly, it only exposes their own fear and shallowness as they try to project it on to someone else. I feel bad for people like that, because some day they too will be this old, but they won't be nearly as awesome.

Now I am off to wrap favors for one of the many parties that lay ahead in the month of June.  Here's a small reminder of how good it feels to hit that certain milestone.




4 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Lin said...

I don't mind being 50 (and I LOVE that video). I love that when I tell people my age, they are like "NO WAY!"...but they are probably just being polite. I don't care...I'll take it.

I don't like that sometimes you wake up and some parts don't work so good on certain days. But I do like that they may work tomorrow. I can't see for crap...but I don't want to wear glasses--that sorta sucks. And you gain weight around the middle...and it never goes away. BUT...you are comfortable in your own skin so you just buy new clothes and put on lipstick to draw the attention upwards. I like that some of my acquaintances look a lot worse for the wear...although they may be thinking the same about me. Whatever.

50 is good....don't worry for one second about it.

Congratulations on the graduation, the 18th birthday and the prom. I hope you had a lovely dress and had a good time. ;)

Happy Birthday, my friend. Welcome to the club!

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Thanks Lin. I think 50 is great because I have a lot of great company. Thanks for the good wishes. Let's keep making 50 as awesome as it can be.

Ms. G said...

Happy/Congratulations Everything! That is a mountain worth of milestones. And hey, I'm envious, I have 1 year and 5 months to go before I get to be that Awesome : )

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Mrs G - You have 1 year and 5 months to ripen to your full potential ;) Something tells me, you are already full of the awesome!

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: