Saturday, February 20, 2016

Cancer Prevention and Endorsement Prevention

You know me.  You know me well, because if you are visiting this blog, you have probably been around since 2009 when I first started. We don't like to brag about our 0% growth, but hey, if you've got it, flaunt it (I'll wait while you self-soothe your jealousy with a glass of Pinot Grigio.  Better? Let's continue).

So if you know me, you know that I am seldom serious in this space.  But even goofballs with very little to say about life beyond hating the PTA, loving poop jokes, possessed of a personal tendency to both whine and drink wine are impacted by cancer.  Almost everyone is touched by cancer, either personally, or via the ones they love. There is nothing funny about cancer, it flat-out sucks.  And because I have lost two aunts that I adored to the disease and because my father fought skin cancer, my best friend fought breast cancer and my sister in law is currently in a battle with brain cancer, I did something that I have never before and may never again do...I responded to an email solicitation to post about something.  Granted, this was not the usual request to post about how much I like a particular brand of canned soup (I don't) or about how fantabulously a particular brand of bladder leak pads work (they don't...I mean, I suppose or guess they don't...whatever), this was about cancer.  But then I dug a little further...

Turns out that the party that solicited me was a law firm that handles environmental cancer litigation cases.  I understand that we need organizations to help people fight for recovery after an avoidable catastrophic illness takes away their life or quality of life, but I cannot plug for a law firm or any other business.  That goes against everything that this blog stands for, which is pretty much nothing...or at least nothing that has to do with commerce.  How else can you explain my complete lack of sponsorship or popularity? So rather than shill for their organization, I am going to thank them for making me aware that it is indeed cancer prevention month and I will point you to the organization that has all of the information around cancer prevention, the American Cancer Society.

February is cancer prevention month and there are some things that we all can do (yes, I am pointedly addressing this to myself) to help move the odds in our favor, by way of prevention.  The basic list is provided below, but do yourself a favor and visit the American Cancer Society website for an abundance of information.  While your're there, you can even make a donation if you like.  I did and will continue to do so without solicitation.


  • Don't smoke
  • Moderate alcohol use
  • Get regular exercise
  • Use sunscreen
  • Get regular exams/screenings
  • *Eat the rainbow


*Hey, Cheech and Chong, this does not refer to the use of psychadellics. It refers to fruits and vegetables.

All my love and best wishes for your health and the health of those you love. XOXO

- Diary

6 Your comments, banter and witty repartee:

Lin said...

I happen to like the fact that you aren't serious...or selling stuff here. I love when you post--it's always a treat. It's people like you that keep me blog-hopping.

I lost a friend to colon cancer last year. He was 53 years old. Never got a colonoscopy--didn't take the time to do it. It's so sad. I miss him so much.

Thanks for the public service announcement today. It's very important one. Please...everyone...get your damned colonoscopy.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Yes Lin, thanks for reinforcing the message. Screening is key. Much appreciation!

Alexandra said...

I am so sorry about your SIL!! YEs, cancer frightens me, and I lost my dearest neighbor, the only kind woman in this subdivision, in less than half a year, due to skin cancer. YEs to all this, thank you for the PSA... we can't hear it enough.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Thank you Empress. XOXO

Ms. G said...

Sorry I'm late. A little issue lately with actually getting off the couch. Well done, well said, and most appropriate coming from a personal angle. And certainly on topic for me. I'm sorry to hear your SIL is fighting such a frightening battle and I hope for a full and fast recovery for her.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Mrs. G. - glad you stopped by. XOXO

Post a Comment

Questions?
Comments?
Sarcastic Remarks?
Write 'em here: